engine ran backwards "I think"

/ engine ran backwards "I think" #1  

dodgejack

Tractor
Kubota 3430 cab.
engine ran backwards \"I think\"

I was winching some trees with my Kubota & Farmi today when the trees hooked behind a stump I kept on pulling trying to break them free. Well I just about killed the tractor. I let go of the rope on the engine's last gasp. Well the engine kept running but rough and the PTO quit. I jumped inside thinking I broke something, switched the PTO out and back in, nothing, getting real worried now. Looked down oil pressure light on OH NO!! Black smoke coming out the front by the air intake. I shut it down. Nerviously fired it back up everything works fine. Could it have been running backwards? and if it was would the exaust come out the intake? I've had chainsaws run backwards before I'm pretty sure the exaust came out the exaust. Answers Please!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ engine ran backwards "I think" #2  
Re: engine ran backwards \"I think\"

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Could it have been running backwards? and if it was would the exaust come out the intake? )</font>

The answer is yes its possible.
I had the same thing happen in tri-axle dumps before.
Almost stalled it, caught it with the clutch at the last second
Twice with a Detriot 2 stroke diesel. I knew what had happened when the black smoke was coming out of the air filter box /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I know a 3406/3 and a quarter Cat can also run backwards because I did it once /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Just shut them down and restart and all was well !!

/ engine ran backwards "I think" #3  

I have seen it happen with two-stroke diesels. Check your air filter to make sure that it is all still there. Don't know if you hurt it, but the concrete truck that did it did not get hurt by it and it was obvious that this was not the first time that it had happened to it either! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ engine ran backwards "I think" #4  

It is not possible for a 4 stroke to run backward unless it is a direct injection. If it is caburated or if there is a precombustion chamber it will not run backwards. If it is a type that will run backwards it would do so very poorly as you discribed and it would be pushing exhaust out the intake. Shouldn't do any long term damage.

For those who have had it happen on a 2stroke (diesel or gas), the intake and exhaust still operate properly, right? Just the timing is off and the shaft spins backwards.

/ engine ran backwards "I think" #5  

</font><font color="blueclass=small">( It is not possible for a 4 stroke to run backward unless it is a direct injection. If it is caburated or if there is a precombustion chamber it will not run backwards. If it is a type that will run backwards it would do so very poorly as you discribed and it would be pushing exhaust out the intake. Shouldn't do any long term damage.

For those who have had it happen on a 2stroke (diesel or gas), the intake and exhaust still operate properly, right? Just the timing is off and the shaft spins backwards.
)</font>

Yea Right tell that to all the Cats, Mack's, BSD,Perkins, Cummin,s Detroit , That they wont run backwards . The sam heck they wont it dont make a diffrence to the injector pump how that Injector is set up to inject into the cylinder , Cummins and 2 stroke detroits , if the pump can deliver fuel to the Injectors and the rocker arm can move they will run backwards . Carburated diesel???????? Oh boy .. Yes they will run back wards and they do . 2 stroke 4 stroke it dont matter if it aint got a computer controled fuel syestem and it gets a backwards thrust on the crank they will run.. My 6.2 Detroit in my pickup will kick backwards now and then , they sound about the same either direction its 4 stroke and Indirect injection

caburated or if there is a precombustion chamber it will not run backwards Ill sit right here and bet you 1,000 Bucks thats wrong ill go out in my old VW Rabbit drift it down the drive way and catch it in reverse going forward with the key on and leave er sit their and run backwards

/ engine ran backwards "I think" #6  

I have had it happen several times to me on a NH 2120. The first time I thought uh oh, what did I do. The second time I knew exactly waht happened. It was easy to do to the NH 2120 as it has a large loader and bucket for the size of the engine. It was failrly easy to almost stall only to have it just catch itself and end up in the backwards rotation. Folks here have also mentioned their JD 4710 has run backwards.

/ engine ran backwards "I think" #7  

If i can catch our 79 2600 Diesel ford just right with the shut off i can kock it backwards and it will run till i kill it, course about 10 secs is all ill safley give it do to low or no oil pressure.

/ engine ran backwards "I think" #8  

My past tractor a MF 1250 (Iseki) was indirect injection and it ran backward on me once.

/ engine ran backwards "I think" #9  

Not really applicable to this particular situation, but I thought I'd point out that some engines will do it by design. I own both a 2004 and a 2005 Ski Doo. To go into reverse on both sleds, you hit the reverse button on the handle bar at idle, it slows the engine by retarding the timing and kills it for a split second. The motor re-fires on it's own (they are both pull start only) and spins backwards, which in turn spins the track backwards. Both are two strokes, one with semi-direct injection, the other with carbs.

/ engine ran backwards "I think" #10  

I'v had customers drive there tractors forword in a revers gear to a phone to call me. It sure can happen with all most any eng. I dont believe a hst tractor would drive at all or even be susseptable to start backwords.No worries mate.