Dropped a couple cups into the tank.

/ Dropped a couple cups into the tank. #1  

RalphVa

Tractor
JD 2025R, previously Gravely 5650 & JD 4010 & JD 1025R
While siphoning diesel into the tank yesterday, I put the cups for the ends of the siphon on the fuel filler cap. Well, shouldn't have done it. Forgot when I put the cap on and dumped the cups into the tank. Went ahead and bushhogged about an hour or so.

Think I should drain the tank and use a fish tool to get those things out of there. Guess I can remove the fuel bowl and filter and let the fuel run into a funnel into a fuel container?

Maybe just leave them in there if the fuel take isn't quite off the very bottom of the tank?

It's my new JD 4010. Luckily, it has a huge fuel inlet hole. Should be failrly easy to shine a light and use my grabber fish tool.

The kerosene siphon bought at TSC worked great, by the way, $4.49. Just sat the 5 gallon container on the hood and started the siphon. Ran in pretty quick. Too quick. That's what kinda diverted my attention. Was just starting to overfill. I grabbed the siphon and cap together without thinking.

Ralph

/ Dropped a couple cups into the tank. #2  
I don't know whether it would ever hurt anything to just leave them in there, but it might interfere with the fuel gauge or obstruct the fuel flow sometime, so I'd be fishing them out; might even be able to do it without draining the fuel.

/ Dropped a couple cups into the tank. #3  
if the cups float, fill the tank within an inch or so of the top and wait for them to float by.

/ Dropped a couple cups into the tank. #4  
I'd fish them out eventually. It is possible they will somehow cover the fuel outlet or interfere with the fuel gauge. Wouldn't be an emergency thing tho, you can let the tank run low & then go at it. If your tractor dies off in the meantime, you will at least know what it could be & no big deal....

If you drain the tank or it would close off the fuel intake, you are familiar with bleeding a diesel to get it running again? Sometimes an issue, sometimes not, your manual should tell you what you need to do if your particular diesel pump can't bleed air out itself.

--->Paul

/ Dropped a couple cups into the tank.
Thanks, guys. Similar thoughts expressed by you went through my mind. Needed some reinforcement.

They don't float. I actually overflowed the tank slightly. So it was brim full.

Ralph

/ Dropped a couple cups into the tank. #6  
The rubber gasket-like piece of the fuel cap for my B7500 has been sloshing around somewhere with the fuel for the past year and a half.

It was late one Summer night in the dark when I removed the fuel cap. Didn't notice the rubber had come off the cap and stuck to the filler neck. When I went to poke the nozzle into the neck, it drove the gasket into the tank.

I did have a fishing session once with one of those three-finger cable things and all I caught was my fuel level sensor. It hasn't messed anything up, so I'm not going to the trouble of removing the tank to retrieve it..............chim

/ Dropped a couple cups into the tank. #7  
Do be careful with those grabbers. I was trying to grab a extension hose that fell off my funnel and was grabbing all sorts of things that did not feel right. I ended up using a coat hanger in the shape of a "V" to hook the hose.

Patience counts.

/ Dropped a couple cups into the tank. #8  
hummm (remembering that "Water World Movie" with Kiven Kosner in it) try dropping a match down in there to see where it is at! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif lol Just Kidding by the way there hahaha. (even fuel does not explode like gas will still would be one heck of a way to find the parts (as in ALL of them that are left after the blast!) not to mentino the eye brows /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

you may try the hose end that the cap came off of to suck out the fuel using the same method you did when filling it! right back into the can. If it stops up maybe you get lucky and catch the caps on the way out /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MarkM

/ Dropped a couple cups into the tank.
Thanks, Spiker. Why didn't I think of siphoning it back out? Looked over the fuel filter, and decided it wasn't a task I wanted to be before its time. It's kinda in there behind the FEL hose connections.

Fished around this afternoon with the 3 finger grabber. Got one of them. Kinda hoping the 2nd one might not have landed in there. Fished quite a while and couldn't seem to bump up against a 2nd one. Found the 1st one fairly quickly. Doesn't seem to be too much stuff in the way. The fuel gauge seems to be a float on a wire.

Ralph

/ Dropped a couple cups into the tank. #10  
I would get it out before it blocks your fuel line at a really bad time.

I was using my Kubota L2350 to do some sickle mowing on a hay field last summer and it sputtered and died on me. I messed with it for a minute, it wouldn't restart, so I walked the half mile back to the house for the pickup and some tools. I drove back up to the tractor, bled the fuel system, it started and off we went.

For about half an hour.

Then it died again, for good this time. My father in law pulled it back down to the shop with my truck and I let it sit over night as it was getting dark. I get up the next morning and start taking the dash and sheet metal off to get the fuel tank out after noticing that no fuel was coming out of the fuel outlet.

I get the tank loose, upend it over a filter funnel and get:

1 BIG moth
1 medium sized leaf
several pieces of a clear rubber something that looks like it would have been 3 inches across ( probably some sort of gasket from a fuel can or something )
1 botle top of the type that looks like it came off a quart oil bottle
and some other bits of black stuff, who knows what it was

I pured fuel in and sloshed it around and dumped it in the filter funnel until junk stopped coming out of this tank, I think it took half a dozen tries.

I bought the tractor used, so I can blame the previous owners for this stuff. Haha.

So now I am very careful about using a filter funnel and not letting miscellaneous stuff fall in fuel tanks. That whole process wasted about 4 hours of hay mowing time.

- Tim