Operating Opportunity - Kubota vs Kioti

/ Operating Opportunity - Kubota vs Kioti #11  
I'm with you Getut. I view safety interlocks as just more delicate parts to watch for when maintaining or cleaning my tractor. Heck, if I had em on my tractor I'd have to disable them since a large percentage of my use is off the tractor, winching logs, chipping brush, or splitting firewood.

Pete

/ Operating Opportunity - Kubota vs Kioti #12  
<font color="red"> Stupid lawyers, if it was not for them and people trying to make a living off suing others we would not have this problem. I am willing to bet the number of dealers who have been sued by customers who did something stupid is over 50%. Its tough because many customers ask how to override safty equipment and/or remove their ROPS. </font>

Neil, just before Christmas I had a Cub Cadet GT delivered to my office as a Christmas Bonus for my sales manager. While the delivery guy was here talking to my sales manager he told him that you can't mow in reverse with a Cub Cadet. Then he said, "you didn't hear this from me, but if you want to disable the switch . . . "

As for running the PTO when off a NH tractor, it is easy, you have to shift it to N and set the parking brake. About 1/2 the time I forget to do one or the other and kill the engine when the seat safety kicks in. Sometimes that is a pain in the rear, sometimes it is just inconvenient. I find when I switch from the NH to the Kubota or visa-versa I have to think before starting the tractor because they have different interlocks. One of my neighbors who usually is on the Kubota had a heck of a time one day when I dropped the NH off at his shop so he could do some work in his yard . . . I left it for him and he couldn't get it started!

Personally, I could live without all of the safety interlocks but I understand why they are there, but then I am one of those folks like Getut who realizes that as individuals, we all have choices that we make, and that some of those choices might carry a level of risk. I think it boils down to the concept of individual responsibility.

/ Operating Opportunity - Kubota vs Kioti #13  
Great machine comparison, what an opportunity to have both to run on the same day. In our area Kioti is pretty much non existant, sure would like to see one up close as they look pretty nice.

Can't help but chuckle on the safety issues, you guys oughta be on an OSHA committee /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I agree though, all these gadgets & switches should be optional. My friends kid stalled her older Buick last week in the middle of an intersection, the battery was dead and she could not open the automatic door locks or windows to get out, wow. She was rescued alright, but consider what could have happened just because some well meaning safety wiz kid designed all those auto safety switches into that car. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Operating Opportunity - Kubota vs Kioti #14  
Pete - you wouldn't - no you'd never disable a safety interlock!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My first sears tractor 1975 16 HP Onan twin version had several safety interlocks. Think they may have lasted a week before circumstances dictated a permanent bypass mode.

Egon

/ Operating Opportunity - Kubota vs Kioti #15  
No offence, Neil and Getut, but the safety devices that most manufacturers find it prudent to put on their machines nowadays weren't mandated by lawyers.

They are a response to liability imposed by JURIES (composed of folks just as sensible as you and me), who concluded, in instances where the technology to prevent a serious or possibly fatal injury was easily and economically available, that such devices SHOULD have been furnished.

Would you really prefer machines to be manufactured the way they were 100 years ago, when punch presses, for example, were made without any device that cut the power if the operator removed his hands from the controls, with the result that countless operators' hands were crushed to pulp by the press....

...Pretty manipulative of the lawyers who tried those cases, to have asked their fellow citizens to consider whether the manufacturers shouldn't be required to do a little better...or to compensate for the injuries that their machines caused needlessly.

In contrast, the seat interlock on the Kubota is pretty unobtrusive. You can operate anything you want from the rear PTO without being in the seat as long as you flip the seat forward at the time you get off.

It takes a bit of getting used to so that you do not forget to do it and kill the engine, but I think it is a pretty good idea. All it really makes you do is think for a moment "do I really want the PTO running after I get off?"

If you do, fine. I don't think that making you flip the seat up pre-empts the operator's decision in any onerous way; it just helps to make sure that it's deliberate rather than inadvertant.

After all, from the various post hole digger threads that I've been reading lately, in anticipation of the delivery of one this week, you probably shouldn't have your PTO running when you get off the tractor if you've got a PHD hooked up. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Operating Opportunity - Kubota vs Kioti #16  
That was an informative review. Thanks.

I just wish tractors were like they were in the old days where the only safety feature was the operator's common sense.

/ Operating Opportunity - Kubota vs Kioti #17  
Yeah, I see lotsa of guys who grew up using those... I wave but they never wave back... I like having both arms...