Frozen Dirt

/ Frozen Dirt #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
My neighbor called me to landscape the dirt around his pond. He had his pond dug out a couple weeks ago when it was very cold. Its been nice and warm 55 degrees here in NC for the past 3 days. As I approached the pond berm I lowered my bucket to push a path through the dirt, BAMM. It was like hitting cement! The dirt out of the pond had water mixed in it when the trackhoe brought it out 2 weeks ago and it was all still frozen. It was just like cement all the way around the pond. My backhoe would not even break it lose. I thought I could dig down 6 inches and it would be thawed. That was not the case it was even frozen harder. I thought to myself, what do you folks do in colder climates this time of the year if you want to dig in dirt?
sherpa

/ Frozen Dirt #2  
Get a bigger BH or wait until it thaws. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
There are several drain projects being done near me. The size of Backhoes they are using is about double the size that would be used in months without frost.

/ Frozen Dirt #3  
I agree with the last comment. In some communities in northern Ontario, burials are put off until the spring.
Richard

/ Frozen Dirt #4  
One thing that helps up here in the north is the snow.
If we don't get to much cold weather before it snows, the snow will insulate the ground so the frost will not go very deep.

I have seen winters when the snow came early and you do not have any frost under the snow. But when you start digging you better do it fast because in a day or two you could have a couple feet of frost. Then it is like ronjhall said,
you move in the bigger equipment, or a thawsall machine.

It used to be constuction stopped up here in the winter. But with the new equipment thats out there, it goes year round now.

Either way, this time of year, it starts to get expensive

Then like
Dave in NH

/ Frozen Dirt
Thanks, it good to know. I have dug all over these mountains with my little hoe without problems. I think I will save my stuff and do it later!
Sherpa

/ Frozen Dirt #8  
I doubt if you'll want to do this, but...

Years ago, when I was a plumber's apprentice, we'd use a jack hammer to break up the frozen ground on top. The backhoe, a full sized Ford, wouldn't break the frozen ground at all...all I did was lift the rear end of the machine. This was for digging sewer tranches, BTW.

Although you felt the ground below the top was frozen more, it probably wasn't since earth is a pretty good insulator.

Once you break through the top 6"-10", your backhoe should be able to dig. You may have to break up more with your bucket teeth as you go.

/ Frozen Dirt
The problem is the dirt came out of the pond with water mixed in it. Then it got very very cold here. Now that berm around the pond is just like cement, its unreal! I am not having any problems at other sites. I just dug a bank off that same morning for another neighbor without any problems at all.
Sherpa

/ Frozen Dirt #10  
Large iron and a work schedule that never lets the ground freeze once you break the crust and get started.

Equipment such as backhoes that have a jack hammer attchment for doing sewer or water lines in the winter.

Landscaping frozen dirt is a waste of time as you just have to redo it come warm and dry weather.

Unless the job is essential a comfortable chair placed in front of a warm fire and a good book in hand are much less stressfull!

Egon : /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif