Trench along fence- subsoiler/middlebuster?

/ Trench along fence- subsoiler/middlebuster? #1  

anojones

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3320
I'm planning on burying some fence along an existing (though somewhat tired) woven wire fence to keep our dog in and keep him from digging under. It's about a ten acre enclosure, so I'm trying the find the best way to trench without spending a lot. Is there a middle buster or subsoiler that would stick out lateral from the hitch to allow trenching close to the fence? Other options? I still am not sure what fencing to use- I have the existing fence so will probably just find some 24" wire and bury one side and attatch the other to the existing fence. Thanks in advance for any thoughts

/ Trench along fence- subsoiler/middlebuster? #2  
If you have a boxblade you could just lower the scarifier on the side which you wish to dig.

/ Trench along fence- subsoiler/middlebuster? #3  
Remove all the tines from the roto tiller except the outside row or use a 1 row cultivator with all the shanks off except 1 on the outside--Ken Sweet

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC

/ Trench along fence- subsoiler/middlebuster? #4  
I found that a subsoiler will not LEAVE a trench. The ground folds back up after it has passed through. You need to feed/bury as you go and I don't know how you would do that with fencing.

/ Trench along fence- subsoiler/middlebuster? #5  
I have used a middle buster for trenching and it works reasonably well. It would be nice if it put all the dirt to one side and if it was offset. It is a very cheap trenching tool and should work for your purpose.

/ Trench along fence- subsoiler/middlebuster? #6  
I used a middle buster to make a trench for some drain tile from a downspout. Worked fairly well, but it's not offset. I think that's where the difficulty lies.

/ Trench along fence- subsoiler/middlebuster? #7  
You might want to consider an Invisible Fence -- even factoring in the cost of the controller and collars, it may be cheaper and easier to bury the wire for the invisible fence. I have about 3 acres behind my invisible fence. Note that you do NOT have to use the "Invisible Fence" wire for the fencing - just use any 16 or 18 gauge wire. You also don't have to bury the wire - except for protection. I have the wire just laid out on the ground throught the woods.

The dogs stay in....

/ Trench along fence- subsoiler/middlebuster? #8  
Electric fence about 6" above ground(with field fence also) is pretty effective at keeping our dogs,sheep and horse in and all other animals out.
My98TJ

/ Trench along fence- subsoiler/middlebuster?
Thanks. Maybe the invisible or the electric fence is the way to go. I suppose the electric would be good for keeping other critters out as well. I could just run the invisible fence along the exisiting fence line which would probably work okay. I don't think either of our dogs would be to put off by an invisible fence without an extra barrier- but would probably not spend enought time getting shocked to dig out, even when after a critter. Any one have a source on inexpensive 18 gauge wire that would work with the invisible fence?

/ Trench along fence- subsoiler/middlebuster? #10  
You can get 18gauge wire at any electrical supply or home store.... be sure to get stranded wire it holds up better to movement and such.. I have this system for my dogs and it works well...(unless I cut it with the mower...lol)