Fear of flying

/ Fear of flying #1  

Indydirtfarmer

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2440/4440/4020/4955
If you've spent much time bush hogging, at some point you'll run over something that you "just didn't see". High weeds that haven't been mowed for years give up some mighty big suprises! What's the worst thing you've ever hit? Did it go sailing? Or did it stay under the mower?

I do commercial bush hogging on a full-time basis. With 2 tractors logging around 1100 hours each every summer, my employee and I have hit a few things of note.

The worst SOUNDING was a space-saver spare tire and rim last summer. I would have never expected something like that almost a mile from the nearest road.

A sawed off telephone pole, left 6" out of the ground made for some excitement!

The worst over-all experience was running over one end of about 1000 feet of cable TV wire left laying in the weeds. I spent the better part of a day with wire cutters in hand on that one.

My employee hit a car batterey last summer. More noise than damage.

OK....What's YOUR story? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Fear of flying #2  
50 feet of high tensile fence.

A blanket. Half rotten and nasty.

A fawn. Some came out, some didnt.

/ Fear of flying #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> The worst over-all experience was running over one end of about 1000 feet of cable TV wire left laying in the weeds. I spent the better part of a day with wire cutters in hand on that one. </font> )</font>

The orbiting grinder is nice for situations like this(providing you have access to electric).

/ Fear of flying #4  
Rocks, rocks and more rocks. I get a new crop of field stones every year. Most in the 4-8 inch range. They launch, make a huge racket and scare the bejeezus out of me. Worst one sent a piece directly under the tractor, straight in front of me. I could watch it come to a stop 50 or so feet ahead.

No damage to anything other than my cutter so far. I don't do this kind of mowing near the house /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Fear of flying #5  
Actually one day while brush hogging a field I came upon a downed tree. I raised the deck and slid a trailer ball into the receiver on the back of the tractor so that I had a place to attach a chain to drag the tree out of my way. Once the tree was pulled off to the side I put the chain away, jumped back on the tractor, fired up the brush hog and set it down on the trailer ball still in place on the back of the tractor.

You know those spinning blades completely destroyed that solid 2" ball. GO FIGURE

Scared the bajeebies out of me too. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

TC-40D SS web pictures click here

/ Fear of flying #6  
Yes, tires are some of the worst, but at least they don't do much damage. I so some right of way mowing from time to time and it seems that folks like to dump on it as they can't use it for anything else. I have hit engine blocks, small cars, a skunk, miles of fence wire, and propane bottles. You never know what will brighten you day when mowing. And as to the folks that say, Aw thar ain't nothin in there but weeds, try a telephone pedestal with about a thousand wires in it.

/ Fear of flying #7  
One more thing related to safety. I was mowing and my crew was at least 200ft behind me and my crew leader was helping one of the crew with a chainsaw. He bent over to kneel down and his hat fell off just as a chunk about 2in thick and 6in long hit him square on the temple. Luckily it didn't hit on end but on the round side of the limb. Dropped him like a sack of rocks. We took him in later as he was having balance problems, but was ok. It took a few days before he was back up to par. It must have shook up his inner ear somewhat.

/ Fear of flying #8  
You know, I've always been a bit worried about driving by when they are out bush hoging the median strips and the shoulders on the highways. You guys are making me feel so much better. Thanks.

Cliff

/ Fear of flying #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( And as to the folks that say, Aw thar ain't nothin in there but weeds, try a telephone pedestal with about a thousand wires in it. )</font>

Try fixing a ped that got hogged. Not to bad if you just took the top 4 in off, but if you got it at the bottom................. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Fear of flying #10  
MY WALLET /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif when i had my old 2N it still had the meatal seat, seems my wallet fel out of my pocket and on the next go round i ran over it. HEARD this awful sound ,stopped , and wonder what the heck i coucld have hit (had cut this section many times) it was my wallet, credit cards, drivers liscence, $120 cash, pistol permit DID I MENTION $120 CASH /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif ALL GROUND UP INTO LITTLE PEICES. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif