Flood rescue

/ Flood rescue #1  

viejo

Tractor
Kubota B7500
Here in SW Missouri, severe rains were followed by severe flooding. When a woman drove into the water and wound up trapped on the top of her car, none of the usual rescue vehicles could negotiate the water. The rescue was effected by a M series Kubota. Two firemen got in the bucket, the tractor driver drove to the car, the firemen loaded the woman into the bucket and brought her back to safety. And some cities want to outlaw tractors?

/ Flood rescue #2  
I'm surprised osha didn't run out there and prevent the fireman from rescuing the woman... you know... no passangers in buckets....

( Thanksfully our legal system is not contorted to the point that people realize that 'rules' can and must be broken in times of emergency ).

Reminds me of the FCC and amature radio operators. There is a standing rule.. no comercial traffic or business is to go over the amature bands. However in times of emergency, Ham's can help comercial and emergency workers by relaying messages, calling for service .. etc.. rules are effectively suspended during the emergency event. That's the big difference in CB and ham.. in cb.. you will frequently here a log in as 'breaker breaker'.. whereas in ham.. if you need someone to clear a channel for emergency purposes.. you would say.. 'break break break'. All hams know that as soon as you get a break-break-break, you immediatly clear the channel and then tune in for further info in case you can help.. )

Soundguy

/ Flood rescue #3  
( Thanksfully our legal system is not contorted to the point that people realize that 'rules' can and must be broken in times of emergency.

Soundguy )</font>

Soundguy I couldn't agree more, but these incidents seem to be coming to an end. The problem comes when these emergency service workers break the rules and something goes wrong. The emergency workers are sued by families of the injured and/or terminated because the regulations were not followed. The latest trend for local government is to have a "Safety Director" review all injuries and accidents. If the rules are not followed then the worker is on his/her own, which means no worker's compensation and no legal protection (civil and criminal).

With that said, I would have still done the same as the firefighters. It's just a shame that someone can spend hours reviewing the actions of another when the person only has seconds to make a life or death decision.

/ Flood rescue #4  
We can't get within 10 feet of water without full PFD's and rescue helmet, and rope. Have to work quick, and make the right decisions, before the victim washes down stream.

/ Flood rescue #5  
Stories like this appear every now and then. Someone get stuck or are in precarious situation and the stout and strong tractor saves the day. I am glad to hear about these stories every time.

If my city bans tractors, I am gonna fight city hall. If I lose, I move but down where I live, I aint gonna lose.