10,000 hour tractor engines........

/ 10,000 hour tractor engines........ #1  

onegreenday

Bronze Member
I was reading an article in the Irish Farmers Journal about a Landini tractor and they said:

"The Perkins AT 4.236 engine, producing 93hp in the original 9880s, is about as reliable as they come. Everyone in the know says this will go for at least 10,000hrs without any attention, provided it is properly maintained and serviced".

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/2004/0207/farmmanagement/machinery/tractor.shtml

How many other tractor engines are good for 10,000 hours?
Is 10,000 hours unusual. Thanks for any input.

/ 10,000 hour tractor engines........ #2  
Only an anecdotal reply, but I just returned from a holiday abroad. In that time I visited many parts of Ireland, and have to say, I never saw a Landini tractor. What seemed to be most prevelant, were the Deere's and MF's. Just a shoot from the hip observance, but those were the machines I saw! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 10,000 hour tractor engines........ #3  
10K hours is not unusually. My neighbor has a 3 yard payload, less than 10 years old with 25,000 hours on the clock. It had been used at a saw mill that was running 3 shifts.

/ 10,000 hour tractor engines........
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Only an anecdotal reply, but I just returned from a holiday abroad. In that time I visited many parts of Ireland, and have to say, I never saw a Landini tractor. What seemed to be most prevelant, were the Deere's and MF's. Just a shoot from the hip observance, but those were the machines I saw! <font color="blue"> </font> )</font>

I was reading the Irish Farm Journal at this link:
http://www.farmersjournal.ie/2005/0108/farmmanagement/machinery/comment.shtml

One Irish tractor dealer had this to say about John Deere tractors in Ireland:
John Deere has remained largely independent- and the firm's marketing department has made much of this in bolstering the brands image. Cathal explained: "There's no doubt that John Deere has a good marketing department. And they're starting to bite into our traditional business- as their prices and specifications have gotten more'competitive' on their stockman models. It makes you wonder though: are they just buying market share?''

/ 10,000 hour tractor engines........ #5  
Interesting article, makes me wonder if the MF's I saw were rebadged Landini's? As for 10,000 hours, I'll have to live to 146 to find out if my 2210 makes it! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ 10,000 hour tractor engines........ #6  
The Isuzu engine in my Hitachi UH083LC excavator has over 16,900 hours and still runs like a top...

Andy

/ 10,000 hour tractor engines........ #7  
Hi,

The Landini is an Italian design, from the tranny back. ( Our local dealer sells both.. ) The Perkins engine is one thing that is shared with MF!!

Take care

Will

/ 10,000 hour tractor engines........ #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Is 10,000 hours unusual. )</font>

Depends onhow t those hours were spent. Many an overworked rowcrop tractor engine has seen half that before rebuild. Big difference in raking, baling, loader work and pulling plow flat out all day.

Isuzu makes a reaaly good engine, as does Perkins.

/ 10,000 hour tractor engines........ #9  
I am a newbie when it comes to tractor so I wouldn't know if 10,000 hrs were exceptional. As far as diesel goes, the GM471 for the generator of my old boat ran 24 hr around the clock about 300 days/yr and I went 5 yr between scheduled rebuild (about 36000 hrs).

/ 10,000 hour tractor engines........ #10  
We have about 8000+ 540 pto rpm hours on the International 584 with no internal work on it yet. It has seen couple of alternators, 4+ starters, 3 clutches and a few other things though.

Ken