Kubota front loader stuck in up position

/ Kubota front loader stuck in up position #1  

Deliberate1

Friends, I was using my BX2200 with bucket to clear away some snow today. As I was about an hour and a half into it, I raised the bucket to its full height, but was unable to lower the arms. The bucket still moves up and down. And there is still hydrolic pressure, or at least some, to the arms. When I move the joystick to the down position I can see the hydrolic lines stiffen - but the arms do not move. There has been no loss of hydrolic fluid, and I just got the rig back from the dealer last week for a tune up (figures). And when I shut off the the machine, it still does not lower. It is well below zero today with the wind chills. Could it just be frozen? But again, it worked just fine for an hour and a half. And I was just moving snow. Nothing heavy. Any ideas? Many thanks.

/ Kubota front loader stuck in up position #2  
Man...that would blow!

Do you have quick connects on your loader? If so I suspect one of them came loose and won't let the fluid return. You can pop one out and not squirt fluid everywhere.

/ Kubota front loader stuck in up position #3  
Be safe in what I'm suggesting here.

I would try to disconnect the FEL hydraulic lines and reconnect them. BUT FIRST, I'd put pressure on the FEL against a tree or something solid to take the weight off the system. I'm not sure you could reconnect the FEL hoses with the FEL raised--the weight of the FEL could prevent it from connecting.

Sounds like one of the hoses might have come loose. If so, the FEL might not lower.

That's what I'd try--but with the weight off the system first.

/ Kubota front loader stuck in up position #4  
Being fairly new to Kubota's myself, it sounds like snow/water has frozen in the control valve. I could be wrong but thats where I'd suspect 1st. If possible, get the tractor into some heated space and see if it clears and allows you to drop it after a couple hrs. If you can't, you may get a space heater or hairdryer and apply heat directly to the control valve area. I've read previous post's where folks have encountered various FEL sticking problems and the majority of time it's involved water getting into the valve assembly and freezing or corroding check balls/valves.
Since it is stuck in the uppermost position I wouldn't recommend removing the quick connect valves as theres bound to be pressure still applied to the ram's and it could do you some harm. (edited, I see you got some responses whilst I was posting that run contrary to my recomendation, so belay my precaution but use mucho caution! & hopefully it's just a loose line)

I'd still try to thaw it out 1st and perhaps someone, a BTDT can recommend something in the mean time.

Good luck
Volfandt

/ Kubota front loader stuck in up position #5  
Just a guess but it might be a Quick connection on one hose came loose? You might try disconnecting one hose at a time and connect it back up. If this is the problem you will want to keep clear of the FEL.
Also remember to respect hydraulic fluid under pressure as it can penetrate the skin.

/ Kubota front loader stuck in up position #6  
I don't see any way it could have frozen as you had been working for 1 1/2 hours and that hydro fluid was good and WARM.
More likely, as other posted, a connecition has loosened or come off, but I doubt you're tractor would be running right if that happened. Mine won't. Is it possible that you bent a cylinder ram and are not aware of it?
As someone else mentioned, get the bucket up against a tree, turn off the tractor, then move the joystick around to relieve the pressure. Now disconnect and reconnect each QD to see that they are properly seated, restart the tractor and give her a try. I hope you find the problem to be a minor one. John

/ Kubota front loader stuck in up position
Gents, thanks so much for your thoughtful suggestions. I will definitely get it into the garage tomorrow. It is heated, and I can put it in there for the day when I leave for work. Hopefully, it is just a frozen something or other. Voltandt, where is the control device that you were referring to? Is it the joystick? If that does not do it, then at least I am in a good place to check the hoses. Is it possible that the hydraulic fluid could freeze and cause this problem? I did check the hoses and just did not see anything that was disconnected - and there are no leaks. It is more than a bit annoying to have this happen after the big dump we just got here in Maine. But the Kubota has been such a fine and trouble-free piece of equipment, I guess it is entitled to some attitude. Frankly, I would squawk too if someone jumped on my back this afternoon and made me work like that in subzero conditions. Stay warm.

/ Kubota front loader stuck in up position
John, I do not know what a cylinder ram is, but it sounds like the bright steel arms that is revealed as the bucket arms are extended. Is this correct? I do not see how I could have bent one as I was moving very light snow at the time. But I will check that out tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion. I also want to mention again that I did move the control arm around after I turned off the engine. The bucket flopped. but the arms did not retract. I confess that I have no technical understanding of hydraulics. But it seems to me that if hydraulic pressure is what raises the arms, could there be something that is preventing the release of pressure, even after the motor is off? Obviously, the next step is to take the hoses off - one by one. Is the safest way to do this, without getting konked on the head, to park the bucket up against a tree?

/ Kubota front loader stuck in up position #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( But it seems to me that if hydraulic pressure is what raises the arms, could there be something that is preventing the release of pressure, even after the motor is off? Obviously, the next step is to take the hoses off - one by one. Is the safest way to do this, without getting konked on the head, to park the bucket up against a tree? )</font>
I would say yes, if you have metal tubing that could have bent enough to keep pressure from releasing once you brought it up, but as you say, it was just light snow.
The ram is indeed the bright metal coming out of the cylinder.
Blocking against a tree will not only be safer in case the loader releases, it will help you to get the pressure off the lines so that you may disconnect and reconnect the hydro quick disconnects (QDs). It's nearly impossible to do that with pressure in the lines, so you need to move the joystick around to relieve pressure after supporting the loader. Good luck, John

/ Kubota front loader stuck in up position #10  
Just to speculate a few thing here, Is it possible that your loader my have jumped out of it seated possition. This might cause the loader to twist and stop the bucket from lowering.
Or it might be that a piece of ice hit on of your Hydralic lines and princed it shut.
But as other said Be carefull in what you do there. It could be a BIG HURT if you dont watch out.....