New here-like to share nine months of stupidity??

/ New here-like to share nine months of stupidity?? #1  

woodchuckie

Platinum Member
Tractor
KUBOTA L 2800
This is a great site here. I just wish I had found it nine months ago before I learned how to professionaly operate my new Kubota L2800 with FEL, Box blade and cutter. The first three or four times I used it I didn't know I didn't have it in 4wd and when I finally found out it was like having a whole new tractor. I remember thinking at the time that "I'll never get stuck in this thing." I spent the summer learning to make trails using the FEL and box blade. The first day in the woods I got my inevitable first boo boo. I bent my foot step thing going over a stump. Before I was satisified with the project I lost one of my tail lights and had a few more scratches on the tractor and me. You really have to be careful running over trees and backing up on them. They'll come sticking through any hole they can find to get to you.
I honed my skills on my 300 foot driveway and playing in my fill
lines to the septic tank. I felt I was now ready to really get down to work on a new trail through this "dry" bottom near my house.
Now I had been delayed before but was able to proceed using the FEL or just locking in the rear tires. In this case I was delayed for three days and out of commission for weeks. I was stuck. There was mud coming through the floor holes. I could let the clutch out and all four wheels would spin. The fel was no help at all. Two four ton come-a-longs didn't help. With my sons help I was able to get out (now don't get me wrong I'm not blameing him, he's only 25 years old and we aren't farmers so we just didn't know any better) We took the box blade off so we could chain a log to BOTH back wheels. I disconnected the top hitch of the 3ph from the tractor. What about the bottom two hitches you might ask. Well they were under mud and I just didn't think of them. Well when I put the tractor in reverse It just started coming right out of there. and except for a little resistence around the bottom hitches of the 3ph I was sitting on dry land in no time. Except!!! There was all this green looking water running out of both wheels. (two new tubes =$100.00 + two more gallons of antifreeze) Then I noticed these four little cast iron pieces with little holes drilled in them. Did you realize that you have to replace your brake housing to fix them things.
Well I was real lucky . My Kubota dealer fixed it under warranty because it was so new. (STUPIDITY CLAUSE).
I did go back and finish that trail but rerouted it and got stuck again almost as bad. I had learned some things though. This time I hooked the come-a long around the fel arm about 1/2 the way up it. I had lots more leverage and when I lifted the fel up the oppsite rear wheel went all the way up so I could fill up the hole with logs and after doing the other side I could drive right off.
I have really enjoyed my new toy but my squirrel dog don't know whats going on because I can't hear him bark at a squirel when I'm playing on the tractor.
I love the information I find on this site now and I hope it will prevent some problems in the future as I roll up the hours. Almost 50 now. See the attachment for some pics.

Attachments

• 574634-foot step.jpg
    574634-foot step.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,390
   / New here-like to share nine months of stupidity??
taillight picture

Attachments

• 574642-taillight.jpg
    574642-taillight.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,115
The cast iron things I broke

Attachments

• 574645-broke cast iron.jpg
    574645-broke cast iron.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,157
My L2800

Attachments

• 574651-My L2800.jpg
    574651-My L2800.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 998
My Dog -CHANCE

Attachments

• 574654-DOG.jpg
    574654-DOG.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 824
   / New here-like to share nine months of stupidity?? #6  
At least all you managed to damage was the tractor. Still not clear on how you broke that casting. Had to go some to bust something that substantial. Go figure. Nice to have you aboard. Been stuck myself a couple times but nothing we couldn't fix with the bulldozer. When we got the dozer stuck was another whole set of problems...

/ New here-like to share nine months of stupidity?? #7  
Just look at them all as being battle scars! Nothing wrong with them. You didn't buy the tractor to keep it in the garage.

murph

/ New here-like to share nine months of stupidity?? #8  
A few battle scars gives a tractor character. Now a great dealer like that, some would kill for.

Mark

/ New here-like to share nine months of stupidity?? #9  
I'm glad that the step metal isn't that thick. Because I did the exact same thing to my step not long after I got my tractor.

Good thing is your not afraid to work the tractor. That is what they are made for. Mine stays muddy.

Gordon

/ New here-like to share nine months of stupidity?? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well I was real lucky . My Kubota dealer fixed it under warranty because it was so new. )</font>
WELCOME ABOARD! and be very glad you have such a nice dealer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif