HELP - Calcium chloride rusting!!!

/ HELP - Calcium chloride rusting!!! #1  

widmn

Silver Member
Tractor
JD870
Just bought a like new JD 4410. Unfortunatly, It has some light rust on the back rims. Looks like it hads starting from the CaLCium filler. What now? Sandblast and repaint? Yada yada.

/ HELP - Calcium chloride rusting!!! #2  
The front wheels on my Yanmar were so bad that I had to sandblast them down, fill in the holes as best I could with weld, repaint and then put in tubes because the wheels still wouldn't hold air. Hope your luck is better than mine. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jeff

/ HELP - Calcium chloride rusting!!! #3  
My neighbor's 30 year old JD 820 was experiencing valve stem leakage, and the rims were badly rusted around the valve stem. Think the metal had to be cut out and new welded in to fix it. Not bad for 30 years. Didn't appear to have been welded before. They're supposed to fill with fluid to almost to the valve stem with it at the top, completely covering the rims with fluid. Sounds as though yours leaked some out or weren't filled up enough.

Unfortunately, not long after she did this, the fuel injector pump packed it in. Needs to be rebuilt. JD no longer carries parts for the injector pump. Can only rebuild it if it's just some O rings and the like in there that are bad.

Ralph

/ HELP - Calcium chloride rusting!!! #4  
If that were my tractor and its as nice as you say, I'd nix the calcium altogether and refill with WW fluid. I don't think you will ever find a permanent cure for what you described as long as there is calcium cloride in the tires. For myself, I'll never use calcium again for the same reason, why mess with a corrosive agent when WW fluid is cheap, easy, and works almost as well? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ HELP - Calcium chloride rusting!!! #5  
How heavy is WW fluid compared to CaCl? Rim Guard?

/ HELP - Calcium chloride rusting!!! #6  
Substantially lighter than both. I am a Rimguard fan. But folks lose sight of the fact that CaCl has been sucessfully used for decades, is cheaper than most alternatives, AND WON"T RUST RIMS if it doesn't leak from tubes.

/ HELP - Calcium chloride rusting!!! #7  
CaCl can add up to 3 pounds per gallon of water if mixed in a heavy concentration. Don't loose sight of the fact that there's a reasonable limit to how much ballast a tractor needs. Also, there's always cast iron wheel weights.

I use methyl alcohol (windshield washer solution) in my farm tractors. For instance, the 16.9x30's on my 2440 Deere will carry about 70 gallons (each) That amounts to about 560 lbs of WWS. Change that to a strong solution of water and CaCl, and you can pack around 770 lbs per tire. I needed to add around 500 lbs per wheel to get the desired weight of ballast. That amounted 63 gallons of windshield washer solution. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No rust.... You DON'T have to have leaky valve stems to suffer that end with CaCl filled tires. A flat tire, a little spillage when filling, or a host of other ways'll get a bit of that "salt water" on your rims, and the damage is done. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

My loader tractor, a 4020 Deere needs all the weight it can get on the rear end. I fill those tires with CaCl, and add several cast wheel weights. It has rusty rims.... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

There is no end to the debate on this issue. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I see it as much like icecream..... They make chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla so we can all have whatever we want.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

(I like strawberry /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

/ HELP - Calcium chloride rusting!!! #8  
I don't think I would run calcium chloride unless I used inner tubes.

I used regular anti-freeze and water in my tires since I live in Texas and we get very little freezing weather. The anti-freeze will prevent rust. At 75% fill (2 gallons anti-freeze and the rest water) my B7510 with R4's will now bog the engine down in most situations before the tires will spin.

The Firestone site says:

Use only calcium chloride mixture. Do not use a brine solution or a mixture of brine solution and calcium chloride because the brine solution is very corrosive. It may be necessary to dispose of old ballast to assure that only calcium chloride is present.

Fill the tube with ballast to slightly above valve level with valve at the 12 o�clock position. This assures that no air contacts the valve during wheel rotation. Corrosion can be minimized or prevented if the valve and housing are completely submerged at all times.

Assure that there is no contact between the brass valve stem and the rim. Center the valve in the rim hole and use only plastic rim nuts.

Note that they say to fill tires ABOVE the stems at the 12 O'Clock position and use plastic rim nuts on the valve stems.

According to the Dow Chemical website a 25% solution will weigh 10.3# per gallon and a 45% solution will weigh 12.25# per gallon.

Bill Tolle

/ HELP - Calcium chloride rusting!!! #9  
One thing about CaCl is that if you rupture a tire in a hayfield, you have a bare spot forever. Sometimes, it don't pay to use a tillage tractor for haying. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ HELP - Calcium chloride rusting!!! #10  
Something to keep in mind is that CaCl may kill your soil but your animals won't go near it. Antifreeze is sweet and our pets and livestock like it, but it will kill them. Soil can be replaced...