Grading Does a box blade make a good trail?????

/ Does a box blade make a good trail????? #11  
I have used “Conservation Mix” from Agway. Other have it also. It does have clover. Also Annual Rye grass, and I don’t remember the others. The annual rye germinates quickly and shades the slow seeds, (keeping them from drying out as fast), as well as checking erosion some.

I have notice that there is enough variety of seeds to take care of different soil types. After a few years I had one corse grass that took over 100% in the wet spots. I have different ones growing in shady spots, and yet different grasses in the sunny spots.

The key to having success, in my experience, is to lightly rake, and then roll the seed. I have done 1000s of feet of road that a PU can traverse, (when dry enough), with just a small hand pushed roller that gets filled with water. The effort put forth builds character!

In my experience, rolling is the key. It puts the seed in good contact with the soil for the moisture needed to germinate. I have even had success in dry spells. I was surprised by how much came up.

The soils around here are quite acid. Lime would have certainly helped, but I never did lime, and it worked out fine, even though a lot of sub-soil ended on top. Ole Mom Nature, really does wonders.

/ Does a box blade make a good trail????? #12  
I have used a box blade and FEL w/ toothbar to put in a lot of trials. If you got time and it is not too thick it works fine. My land is very hilly and last time I worked on them I bent my box blade by catching it on a stump. My suggestion is to spend the time you would in a day working on trials on marking where you want them, then the next day hire a dozer w/ good operator. By the end of the day you will have a lot more trials and a lot nicer. Then use your tractor to do some finial grading, etc.

/ Does a box blade make a good trail????? #13  
Hi, I forged a trail through virgin woods and knocked the trees down with the loader and those that would not come out...the box caught. Once I went COMPLETELY OVER THEM TO AVOID BRANCHES AND LIMBS FROM DAMAGING PLASTIC PARTS UNDERNEATH, I backed up and the box reversed the trunk and popped it out very easily. After I was done, I went in reverse and it cleaned the whole trail up very nicely. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif