Changed my rear tyre pressures

/ Changed my rear tyre pressures #1  

MetalChicken

Bronze Member
Tractor
Case 4230
After having a read of the tyre pressure thread that Mith started I started thinking about the pressures in my tyres.
I have an agric IH484 that I use with an 8' rear finishing mower. I put turf tyres on it 12 months ago but haven't really been that impressed as it seemed not to have reduced the grass compression by much. At this point it was running about 19psi.
Today I went out and dropped the pressure to 15psi and what a difference /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. The ride is now much softer and I can already see that the grass is less compressed. After i put it back in the shed (which has some sand on the floor) I can see that I'm still not utilising the entire width of the tyre, so I can see a further 2-3psi coming out very soon unless the tyres start looking dodgy.

Attachments

• 586507-484_small.jpg
    586507-484_small.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 372
   / Changed my rear tyre pressures #2  
Metalchicken, I have 14.9 x 24 diamond cleat tires like yours on my massey 135 and I only run 8-10 psi in them year round, but your pressures may need to be a little different depending on weight of your tractor and implement when lifted up.

With 8lbs. of air in my tires and 5ft international bushog (very heavy) tire compression is minimum gives good foot print across surface of ground and is a nice soft ride,also it will give better traction with less ground distrubance /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

That's how mines been for years now with no problems. But you can forget about using it in the snow it won't even move just sits and spins,fenders so close to the tires chains aren't and option for me. But that was a good enough excuse for the wife to get a new 1433v /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Changed my rear tyre pressures #3  
Metal, not meaning to invade, but where in the UK are you?
it looks spectacularly sunny, unlike here

/ Changed my rear tyre pressures
Hi Mith - old picture from last summer! I`m in Cheshire.

Nasty - thanks for the info, very interesting. I`ve already dropped the pressure to 12psi and I`m sure they can come down more.

The flatter they get the better they look!

My 484 weighs a bit more than your 135 @ about 5500lbs, and the finish mower is about 900lbs. But I`ll keep letting that air out!

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Changed my rear tyre pressures #5  
Always be careful about running low pressures if you have bias ply tires as the sidewalls can be damaged. There are a lot of good internet sources with information on running low pressure.
Here is a link to one of them that states, "Bias ply tires should not be operated at low pressures, he cautions. The lowest operating pressure for most bias ply tires is 14 psi."
Tire pressure
I'd hate to see you damage your tires before their time. John