a tractor question.

/ a tractor question. #11  
"At what point does a car become a tractor"

At what point does a tractor become a car ? Since I work from home I spend almost as much time on my tractor as my car, also drive it to the country store just down the road. A takn of gas in my scooby roo will last me about 2 months. The wifes car... well...it seems to have a 500 gallon tank /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Well I don't go to wally world on it yet, so I guess it is still a tractor /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben

/ a tractor question. #12  
Henro, I think you got your posts mixed up /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif The “What makes it a tractor" post is the next line down in the forum

Just kidding /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ a tractor question. #13  
Just for laughs, try taking a short trip around town on the ol' tractor! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have a hooters Restaraunt with-in a few hundred yards of the property. I wait until they're at "full song", and go driving by the window on the John Deere. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif You should see the looks I get! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Just across the highway from the Hooters, is a car wash belonging to a good friend. I keep the snow shoved off his lot. In return, he gives me a "maint. code" that allows me to wash anything for FREE /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've drove any or all of my tractors across the highway for a quick bath. Consider that I'm actually with-in the city limits of Louisville, Kentucky, and that highway is one of the main commuter arteries. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SO.... On a typical saturday afternoon, you're likely to find me in my bibs and John Deere hat, mounted upon my favorite farm tractor, cruising past the Hooters, on my way to town! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And I'm doing it with all the efficientcy of my favorite car. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ a tractor question. #14  
<font color="blue"> So I guess my orginal question is whether tractor tend to use a higher PERCENTAGE of its rated HP than a car. </font>

At first thought one might tend to expect that the tractor does use a higher percentage of its HP rating than a car does. But I wonder if it does. It really all depends on the application. A tractor used only for plowing would probably use a higher percetage of its rated power than a tractor used for mowing grass that is kept well under control, like a golf course fairway, for example.

I would not assume that a car running down a highway at 70 mph, especially in hilly country, is not using a fair amount of HP pushing air out of the way either.

I don't think a general answer is easy to come by...

I would like to think that if we compared a car and a tractor that were running at the same % power output over time, that the tractor would last a lot longer than the car would.

Sure seems that way, anyway...

/ a tractor question.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue">
At first thought one might tend to expect that the tractor does use a higher percentage of its HP rating than a car does. But I wonder if it does. It really all depends on the application. A tractor used only for plowing would probably use a higher percetage of its rated power than a tractor used for mowing grass that is kept well under control, like a golf course fairway, for example.

I would not assume that a car running down a highway at 70 mph, especially in hilly country, is not using a fair amount of HP pushing air out of the way either.

)</font>

Actually, basic calculation shows that a Porsche Boxter crusing at 80mph only uses around 20 HP to overcome the air resistance and rolling friction. (let's neglict hill here since they are rare relative to level road).

But to acceleration from 0 to 60mph in 6 seconds, the Boxter would require 100 HP.

Therefore, the reason why so much cars are SO overpowered is because people care a lot about acceleration. Take the hybrid for example, it can uses a MUCH smaller engine (for greater idling efficiency) because it depends on a motor for acceleration (using energy that was stored previously). That's why it saves so much gas.

But for a regular car, you are using a WAY oversized engine just to accelerate fast while most of time it's not being very efficient (for cruising).

Those tractors that are used for plowing I think would use more HP than a lawn tractor that's used for mowing. But then again, a tractor that's solely used for mowing lawn probably have a much weaker engine than a tractor that's used on the fields. Therefore, the percentage shouldn't be that different, and both of them should be much higher than the cars.

/ a tractor question. #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just for laughs, try taking a short trip around town on the ol' tractor! I have )</font>

Luckilly.. the city I live in is still somewhat peopled by farmers. It is not uncommon to see tractors running down the road from field to field. I drive my NH 7610 down the road to the fuel station.. or to mow a pasture.. etc.

I also frequently take 'joy' rides in my neighborhood on my antique tractors.

And 1 time I even drove my tractor to work ( true! )

Soundguy

/ a tractor question. #17  
The car to tractor comparison reminds me of my nephew and his misconception as to his understanding of horsepower. Last summer we had a family reunion up on the farm. My nephew brought his new F350 pickup fitted with a lift kit and big mudder tires.

Somewhere in the afternoon he and his father got into a discussion concerning his new pickup verses my Kubota 50 hp tractor. My father informed me I may want to go outside and see what my brother was doing with my tractor. Upon exiting the house I heard the familiar sound of the Kubota heading into the field. Going around the house to get a view of what was going on I could see my nephew in his new F350 being pulled around by the Kubota. The F350 had all four wheels spinning but the Kubota acted like nothing was behind it and just dragging it around in circles in front of a growing number of spectators.

When it was all said and done a 50 horsepower tractor was able to get all 50 horsepower applied to the ground in the proper horsepower to weight ratio (145 lbs per pto horsepower, static) or in this case (6.5 mph = 120 lbs per pto hp).

My poor nephew had the look of disappointment wrapped in embarrassment. He asked me what I thought the problem was and I told him his father cheated. The nephew asked how and I said his father had a 24 year head start in knowing the outcome of that contest.

/ a tractor question. #18  
I did that with my yanmar 1700 and the neighbors new huskey 24 hp lawn 'tractor'. He swore up and down that his 24 hp 'tractor' would pull my 17/20 hp tractor. Well.. lets just say he was very surprised and very disappointed all at the same time about 1 second after each of us let our clutches out... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Soundguy

/ a tractor question.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The car to tractor comparison reminds me of my nephew and his misconception as to his understanding of horsepower. Last summer we had a family reunion up on the farm. My nephew brought his new F350 pickup fitted with a lift kit and big mudder tires.

Somewhere in the afternoon he and his father got into a discussion concerning his new pickup verses my Kubota 50 hp tractor. My father informed me I may want to go outside and see what my brother was doing with my tractor. Upon exiting the house I heard the familiar sound of the Kubota heading into the field. Going around the house to get a view of what was going on I could see my nephew in his new F350 being pulled around by the Kubota. The F350 had all four wheels spinning but the Kubota acted like nothing was behind it and just dragging it around in circles in front of a growing number of spectators.

When it was all said and done a 50 horsepower tractor was able to get all 50 horsepower applied to the ground in the proper horsepower to weight ratio (145 lbs per pto horsepower, static) or in this case (6.5 mph = 120 lbs per pto hp).

My poor nephew had the look of disappointment wrapped in embarrassment. He asked me what I thought the problem was and I told him his father cheated. The nephew asked how and I said his father had a 24 year head start in knowing the outcome of that contest. )</font>

So. what's the point? I don't understand. Are you talking about different gearing (more/less torque). Or are you talking about the original question on which tend to use a higher percentage of the rated horsepower?

/ a tractor question. #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( And 1 time I even drove my tractor to work )</font>
did you arrive late or start off early?
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif