pulling offset disc

/ pulling offset disc #1  

hudr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5005DI
This is a little embarrassing since I grew up on a farm, but... I have a 6 1/2 ' offset wheeled disc (not 3pt). I also have a 50hp tractor. I'm pretty sure have the power to pull it but the tractor struggles with it as far as slippage goes. I filled the rear tires with water and that helped but the tractor still snatches and grabs and I have to use the interlock nearly all the time. Of course, I also have all the angle in the disc but I don't run the wheels all the way up and it still bogs. I grew up running a 12' tandem cutting disc behind a 5020 JD (133HP) and currently use the same disc behind a 4320 JD (116HP). I really think my main problem is lack on weight on my 50hp tractor. Anyway, any suggestions would be helpful. By the way, adjusting the angle on the offset disc is a real pain..

/ pulling offset disc #2  
"tractor struggles with it as far as slippage goes."

Are you saying the tires are spinning? ...are they R1's?

I bought a 7 ft pull behind offset disc.. haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

/ pulling offset disc #3  
That seems a bit odd to me.

I pull a 7' double disk with a John Deere 830 Utility in fairly light and sandy soil and have no problem.

Remember that traction is impacted by the weight of the tractor and when pulling hard, you want to see the tracks of the tractor 'fractured' but should not be slipping. Another componant of traction is, of course, the tires that you are running. I run a regular ag tire on the little John Deere and am a bit surprise that you are having difficulty with a disk of that size, as my tractor is only 36 hp.

Can you provide more details about what tractor you are running and what it weighs????

Tom in Frankenmuth

/ pulling offset disc #4  
Offset disc's are harder to pull than lift disc's of the same size.

/ pulling offset disc #5  
Does your tractor have a FEL mounted on it??? If so take it off. What does the tractor weigh?

I pulled an 8 ft. cutaway for years with a 574 IH 52HP. Added a loader and had problems pulling it. It worked the sap out of the tractor with the loader on it. Take some of the gang angle out. You could add wheel weights too.

/ pulling offset disc #6  
Offsets are very agressive and require up to 9 dbhp/foot and 1k lbs/foot depending on soil type/condition. They weren't designed for lighter tractors either . You might could add some wheel weights , but once you gett traction you may be overworking the tractor. Working Red River valley clay loam a 9k lb 4020 wasn't quite enough for a 10 footer and had to use the new (then) 4430.

/ pulling offset disc
Well, lets see... We have a 5005 Mahindra 50hp tractor. It weighs about 4500 lbs from the factory (very light in my book). I filled the tires with water (16.9X28) to add about 800 more lbs to it. I do have a BushHog M2346 FEL but haven't tried it w/o the FEL.
And yes, the tires are actually spinning. I am in sandy loam soil and the tractor will dig a hole quickly (especially with the water in the tires) if you aren't paying attention.
I don't recall if the tires are radial but I kind of doubt it on this tractor. Come to think of it, they may even be overinflated a bit, but will 4-5 psi make this kind of difference? Thanks for the help so far.

/ pulling offset disc #8  
Try running it without the loader. You'll see a big difference. Once I added the loader to that old 574 IH it wouldn't pull worth a hoot. I pulled that same disk for 6 years with the IH with no problem till I put the loader on. I started pulling the disk with the 2610 Long so I wouldn't have to take the loader off. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif