What RPM's do you run at when using PTO?

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #21  
Re: What RPM\'s do you run at when using PTO?

Yes, its how I did my International. I would run the engine at approximately 1100 RPM to get 540 RPM off the 1000 RPM PTO. Thats practically idling and whats better was it could pull my 84" mower and not even hesitate.

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #22  

I treat 540 PTO RPM as a 'Redline' RPM. Anything less is OK if it does the job.

My two Fords turn 540 PTO RPM when the tach says 1800 engine RPM. I've never run them that hard, either bush-hogging, baling or running the haybine. At most the engine's turning 1500RPM which translates to 450RPM. Never a problem. It may explain why my old stuff seems to hold together for years. If it starts plugging up, it's time to drop down a gear.

The old Johnny Poppers I cut my teeth on never had tachs, nor does my JD40. How were you supposed to tell when the 'magical' 540RPM was reached? The question is academic. You ran it up until the implement began to sound like it was beating itself to death and then backed it off until it ran smooth. It worked then and it still works.

I don't need no stinking tach /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
Bob

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #23  

I run my Kubota L3430 at 2750 for pto work. That shows about 560 or so with no load. When I am moving and cutting or tilling it drops to around 2550 and 540. The noise is not bad at all. My riding mower is worse.

Loader work I run about 1800 to 2200, gets too jerky much higher. Backhoe I do run 2750. Post Hole Digger always at idle.

ksmmoto

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #24  

You and I are pretty much in the same boat. I also listen to the engine loading up as well as how suffcient and/or effcient the job is being done.

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #25  

Those old 2 cylinder Deeres weren't considered "variable speed engines" They were intended to operate at full throttle. It wasn't until 1961, and the introduction of Deere's "New Generation of Power" did they offer a variable speed engine that could be operated at most any RPM that was suitable for the task at hand. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #26  

I'm with you Bdog...and Rat.... I like to run my Branson around 2100 -2300 on the high end. Also, sometimes I have used the 1000 pto setting and dropped my tractor RPMs down to run my tiller at close to a 540 speed but moving the tractor at a slower pace . At some point at the higher tractor rpms, your torque curve starts dropping.

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #27  

I run between 2400 - 2600 rpm. If loading it up on work like thick grass etc, then I stick with 2600.

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #28  

Rat I'm thinking that if my rig wasn't equipped with a tach for the small cost involved I would search out a tiny-tach and get it installed for peace of mind if nothing else. The difference between green and red lights on our dash when it comes to PTO speeds are minimal and the name of the game is longevity when it comes to diesels. No sense tearing them up quicker than need be.

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #29  

Same here. I use the 1000 PTO at around 1300 rpm all the time when bush hogging. My Century has no problems running my 6' hog doing this unless I get into some unusually thick brush.

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #30  

I use the full PTO speed on everything except the post hole digger and of course just doing loader work. You can't go as fast mowing if your blades aren't turning as fast.