What RPM's do you run at when using PTO?

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
What RPM\'s do you run at when using PTO?

My tractor has a PTO indicator mark at 2600 RPM for 540 PTO speed. To me this engine speed seems way to fast. The tractor just sounds like it is screaming. I tried doing some shredding at around 2200 and it seemed to cut fine and it sounded a lot better. Whate are your thoughts on this? To me most diesels seem like they are designed to runa t between 1800 and 2200 RPM. Below that they lug and above they sound wound out.

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #2  
Re: What RPM\'s do you run at when using PTO?

At 2600 it's not screaming, but I very rarely run my PTO at this RPM, even my finnish mower runs closer to 2300 RPM which is about 480 - 500 RPM out the PTO. You will not be hurting the engine at 2600, but you are enduring more noise then I have found necessary.

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #3  

Tractors are designed and built to run at PTO speed all day, after a brief break-in period of varied rpm. I'd certainly rather have it running at PTO speed than to lug it at all, and I always ran mine at full PTO speed for the finish mower, brush hog, and tiller. If I was just doing FEL work, 2200 seemed about right, and if you want to run your implements slower than their PTO speed and you're satisfied with the results, I don't see anything wrong with it, but in many cases, the implement does its job more efficiently at full PTO speed.

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #4  

Bird, I couldn't have said that better myself. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Most machinery I use wouldn't last long running less than 540 on the PTO. I'd either be plugging something up or smoking something up. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That's the engine speed the tractor was designed to run it's best.

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #5  

Quite the contrary for me. I never plug up, or smoke. I find that my Kubotas torque still is very good down around 2200 to 2300 RPM and consequently even adding more RPM does little to change my power. I can add throttle when things load up, but it won't increase the RPM at that point either. The only advantage I have found with the 540 RPM is when my Harley landscape rake loads up it will windrow the debris faster. The disadvantage is the noise and of course, the fuel consumption. Mowing makes zero difference at 480 to 540 RPM.

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #6  

Rat, you're probably right for the work you're doing with your tractor, but like Charolais said, I don't think that hay mower/conditioner or the baler I used to pull would have worked well at all at a slower speed, and even with my little tractors and implements, I figure running the engine and PTO at the speed the manufacturers made them for let me drive just a little faster and get more done in the same length of time.

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #7  

You guys must have some loud tractors! My NH 7610s isn't bad. I'll have to look in my manual as it lists db at op platform.. but as I remember, I can be at pto rpm, with the 10' mower on the rear.. and can still hear my fender mount radio fine. if I wear my headphones, I don't notice the sound at all.

I'll post back with my db reading at the op platform.

Soundguy

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #8  

Diesel engines, as well as 3ph attachments, are designed to run at a certain rpm (see owner's mannual) in order to get the best performance out of them. If you run them slower, performance will suffer, which may make a difference with some attachments.

Plus, I usually am wearing hearing protection, so I don't hear the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #9  

86 db at the op platform, unless driving between structures where 'side' engine noise can bounce back.

Soundguy

/ What RPM's do you run at when using PTO? #10  

The RPM's I run depends on which implement I'm runnig.
Finish mower or brush mower usually around 2600 RPM.
Post hole digger- just above idle
Tiller- full throttle