Bailing hay with a compact

/ Bailing hay with a compact #1  

green4710

Silver Member
Tractor
Hi, I searched the forums and know there were posts about bailing small square hay bales with a compact, but cant find them for some reason. I was curious if anyone uses a compact, i.e. 50hp to run a small square bailer, and if so, how do they like it, etc. Im buying a small hay farm and dont want to upgrade tractors if I dont need to. Thanks in advance for your answers.

/ Bailing hay with a compact #2  
50 HP will be adaquate for MOST square balers, under MOST conditions. Where you might have trouble is with the WEIGHT of your tractor. Do you plan on dropping the bales on the ground behind the baler, or direct loading onto a wagon? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

A wagon with a full load can get a might heavy. I've seen 7500lb tractors struggle with a 20' wagon loaded with hay. On wet grass, or a hill, you have the makings of an accident. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

With some thought, you should do quite well with 50HP. For years, I baled with an old Massey Ferguson 50. (32HP, 4200lbs) I do 90% of my baling now with a 60 HP/7200lb tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Bailing hay with a compact #3  
I run an old NH 276 square bailer w/ thrower w/ the TC35D.. but I don't pull a wagon.. it rocks the tractor some.. buy has no problem running the bailer. This winter I bought an MF 65 that I'm looking to try out w/ the bailer this spring.

/ Bailing hay with a compact #4  
If you don't pull a wagon why the thrower? Most NH's can't bypass the thrower right?

Daryl (L5030) does a lot of hay with his L5030 HSTC both round and square. He pulls racks but it is very flat there.

/ Bailing hay with a compact #5  
No bypass.. and probably not worth the effort to take it off. I crank the thrower setting to the lowest speed.. and just let'em fly. The good ones stay tied. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The MF 65 might be able to handle a wagon w/ the bailer.. but for now.. I kinda like going around and picking them up by hand. To me.. picking beans seems harder on my back.

/ Bailing hay with a compact
Well this is good news then. I dont plan on pulling a wagon, just dropping the bales in the field. I know this thing wont handle a new holland bale wagon, so thats another problem. How much do you feel the effects of the plunger on the tractor? Im looking at a centerline bailer, does anyone run one of those?

/ Bailing hay with a compact #7  
A compact really isn't a good choice for a centreline baler. Look at your ground clearance, you'll be dragging windrows all over tarnation.

Some people build sheet metal hay skidplates for low tractors for round baling. Daryl bales rounds and seems ok with it but I know ever our big international drags hay all over.

/ Bailing hay with a compact #8  
"How much do you feel the effects of the plunger on the tractor? "

It rocks the tractor some.. but not to the point where it feels unstable.. I have wheel weights & loaded tires. I think part of the reason is the "BIG" hole in the drawbar that gives the baler hitch too much play. I was going to make up an adapter to see if that helps.

/ Bailing hay with a compact #9  
Years ago, we baled with a D17 Allis (Guessing about 25-30HP). When we stopped the tractor with the baler still running, it would rock back and forth maybe 4 inches. There's a lot of torque going on there.........

/ Bailing hay with a compact #10  
that jd should be able to handle that baler. although if its a hydro, i have heard that they get loaded down when doing heavy work. we bale w/ an old jd2010 its a 4 cylinder gas and have a jd 24t baler an older heavy baler, and we just use pickup trucks/landscape trailer to transport the bales to the barn. we have also used our jd50 for baling. on both our machines when the tractor is stopped and baler is still going you definetly feel it working and the tractor is rocking back and forth a bit. most of our hay lots are fairly flat but we used to do a few w/ hills and the 2010 seemed to handle it fine. we have been looking to upgrade from the 2010 and most dealers say to stay w/ a utility tractor instead of the compact as they are more suited for ag work.