Added weight VS wheel bearing life

/ Added weight VS wheel bearing life #1  

tinytractors

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 HST, 52 Ford 8N, JD455 AWS, Bayou 300 ATV
We all like to add weight to our tractors to get traction and stability. Is there any connection between the added weight and adverse wheel bearing or drive train wear.

I know that there just has to be a point where it should become counterproductive... I just can't seem to define it other than "just don't get stupid about it"...

Does staying within the mfg's max recommendations eliminate excessive wear or just slow it down.

I try to stay as light as will get the job done, normally run around with an 800 lb chipper on the back and a FEL on the front of my Kubota L3430.
I'm thinking about foam filled tires all around to take care of the thorn problem that I've had over the years... and just didn't feel quite comfortable about adding the extra weight. Up to now I have been using "Slime" in everything that has tires on it.

Never had a problem with wheel bearings or axles... but after awhile you get to wondering.

TIA... pete.

/ Added weight VS wheel bearing life #2  
When I replaced an axle seal in my JD 4100 front wheel gearcase, I had a chance to check out the size of the bearing. For the size of the machine, I cannot imagine them ever wearing out under any load I could imagine putting on the front of that tractor.

The speeds and total miles the tractor runs, it just doesn't seem like it would put enough "mileage" to wear the drivetrain. Bearings and gears wear from a combination of high forces, and high speed or high number of revs. The tractor just doesn't put enough revs on to worry about.

The big exception to this is of course, if you run the drive-train dry or dirty. The secret to a long life is to keep the oil in and the dirt out. Thats the job of the seals. If you see a leak, make sure to A: check the fluid levels, and B: get it fixed before you forget to do A and run it dry. Finally, C: change the gear oil at the recommended intervals.

What I would worry about most with adding ballast is the tire load ratings. Especially on the front with a loader. Many turf style tires, for example, are not rated for the loads the loader can put on them.

- Rick

/ Added weight VS wheel bearing life #3  
Rick

I did a bit of reading and called a buddy at Toyo (no tractor stuff but he understood the question) about the load ratings. A tire does not need to be rated to handle the total possible rating of the tractors FEL to be more than adequate to do the job. The weight is not entirely on the single front tire and it displaced over all four tires and frame. He also said its different for tractor applications since the speeds and loads are not causing severe stresses on the tires body.

He added too that the rating are VERY conservative for legal reasons and are normally tested to obscene levels compared to what gets stamped on them.

/ Added weight VS wheel bearing life #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "just don't get stupid about it"...)</font>

You answered your own question! I don't think there is a way to overload your tractor is you use conventional methods of adding weight.

/ Added weight VS wheel bearing life #5  
Weight added to the tires or wheels is unsprung weight so is not carried by the wheel bearings, the only extra stress that I can see that it would add to the wheelbearings would be starting and stopping the added load, unless I'm missing something here, you know "how many TBN members does it take to change a light bulb?

/ Added weight VS wheel bearing life #6  
The increased traction from wheel weights would also put more stress on the bearings. The increase in the tractors pulling ability is taken up by the bearing. Traction force, drawbar pull, is opposed by an equal force in the bearing to keep the axle from moving out of the axle housing.

Bearing life is a calculation that takes into account the speed and loading on the bearing. I would expect that the manufacture would take into account the loads that it gives in their ratings for the tractor.

/ Added weight VS wheel bearing life #7  
I have over 500 hours of use with foam-filled front tires on my B2910 without an apparent problems. The rears are liquid filled. Don't expect any wheel bearing problems...but who knows?

Someone here recently did bring up another concern though. That was whether foam filling of tires would change the shock loading of the tractor components. Meaning that an air-filled tire might flex more, and give more cushion than a foam filled tire might.

The person I am thinking of (sorry, can't remember the thread or name /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) mentioned he broke front spindles after foam filling his front tires...

Now I do know my dealer mentioned that there are different foam fills, and that the guy he referred me to did not make the tires too hard. Mine seem to have a bit of flex to them...

Thought I would mention this as until I read the post I just mentioned, I had not given any thought about possible damage due to increased shock....probably because of seeing pictures of antique tractors with steel wheels... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Added weight VS wheel bearing life #9  
I've had the high density foam in my L3710's tires from the day it came from the dealer. With the ag tires it gives you a somewhat bumpier ride at highway speeds. I've never had a problem. As I've posted a few times, I've run the tractor everywhere including a few spots with semi-buried metal and it's been strictly no sweat. I never give the tires a second thought.

The only problem is when I use one of the other tractors, I've caught myself going where I shouldn't if I don't want to get caught far from the house with a flat. If that ever happens, I'm on my own because no tire truck will ever make it in here.

/ Added weight VS wheel bearing life #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( With the ag tires it gives you a somewhat bumpier ride at highway speeds.)</font>

Is that 55 mph or 65 mph? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif