Load Binders continued...............

/ Load Binders continued............... #11  
Yes, the levers are quicker and easier, but, a ratchet will not loosen itself like a lever can if the conditions are right. Rule of thumb on ratchets, keep as much thread in the body of the binder as possible.

Hooking a chain to itself is quite acceptable if you have "closed" or "grab" hooks on it (narrow hooks designed to grab the chain). Open or slip hooks should not be used for this purpose. They are for hooking onto an eye loop or D-ring or something like this.

Also, keep your binders and chains clean and lubricated. This will lengthen the life of both items considerably. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Load Binders continued............... #12  
It's probably overkill, but I once I get the binders on, I cinch the lever to the chain with a heavy cable tie by passing the tie through the eye of the lever. I've seen others do the same by wrapping the lever with a few loops of chain.

The thinking is that if something somehow loosens the chain enough that tension is removed from the load binder, it still won't pop loose.

/ Load Binders continued............... #13  
I have stayed away from the lever type binders for years now. Used to work in a sawmill, used them all the time on the trucks. One day the usual load pickup driver didn't show up. Turns out he stood a bit too close to the lever binder when it was under load and flipped it up with a piece of pipe for leverage. Caught him right under the chin, he was wired together for weeks, never mind the reconstructive dental work. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif YEEOW! The ratchet type are 2x the price but safer to use IMHO /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Load Binders continued............... #14  
No doubt after Dargo's thread there's been a run on chain and binders across the country. I was getting mine at TSC this morning and the guy in front of me was picking up all new chain and binders too - and - a locking tool box he was going to mount to his trailer. He said he's had a terrible problem over the past 18 months at job sites - chains & binders walking away from the trailer as he's off doing the tractor work. I can imagine the pit in your stomach at the end of the day to go load up the gear and find the chains, et al, have disappeared. What a pain! Not to mention the expense.

-Norm

/ Load Binders continued............... #15  
Ill just add.....

1) back the screws out of the ratchet binder till the thread is ~ 1" from popping out.
2) Hook your chains so that they run though the D loops on the trailer and then hook back on themselves. You only need a short length of chain running through the D.
3) Pull the chain tight as you can.
4) Hook one end of the ratchet ~ 1 foot from the machine, and then the other end as far down the chain as you can. This should create a big loop of chain at the binder. Try to get it as tight as you can so you will have more thread to tighten with,
5) Ratchet away till tight.
6) Wrap that loop of excess chain around the binder.
7) Drive one mile or two and then re-tighten as needed.

Fred

/ Load Binders continued...............
Thanks for the replies. I checked out the setup the other day. I wound up welding 2 Drings to the rear trailer frame. Hooked up and drove down the road. I noticed a big difference in how the tractor/trailer and the truck rode, seemed quite a bit stiffer. It appears that with the chains and binders, the tractor doesn't bounce like it must have with the straps stretching and giving like they do. I liked the old ride better for comfort, but I don't think I'll break these chains and binders and loose the tractor. Really don't need the experience Dargo had!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif