Using Grapple to pull brush tips tractor forward

/ Using Grapple to pull brush tips tractor forward
John, Luckily most of these cedars (junipers) are 30' or less tall so there's no really big stuff just lots and lots of little stuff. Although I did get a pretty good chouggie in my hood the other day but thats just because I was being stupid. It does make me wish I had a fulls rops with top though because a 8" across log falling on my noggin is not going to be pleasant either, I try to never lift anything higher than it takes to transport it but sometimes depending on the particular tree it can still be 10' or so feet up in order to not drag it as dragging tends to hang up on stuff and cause the load to shift and gives me more seat time cleaning it up as well. It sounds like overall consensus is do it slow and be careful like I have been as using any sort of drag chain and grapple would be to time consuming with 347 acres to clean up and only one lifetime to do it in.
Steve

/ Using Grapple to pull brush tips tractor forward #22  
Have you tried just using 2WD? You might not be able to pull as much out each time but you'll know when the rears start spinning that you took to big a bite.

/ Using Grapple to pull brush tips tractor forward #23  
You need a lot more weight on the rear end.

Operate in 2wd, you will loose traction before the rear lifts up.

Then you will appreciate the more weight. Wheel weights, stuff on the 3pt. A 90 hp tractor should handle 3-5,000 lbs back there on the 3pt right? Do so.

--->Paul

/ Using Grapple to pull brush tips tractor forward #24  
Up here local fire departments will sometimes come and assist in burning. They use the fire for training and a donation is usually made. I have seen this done for brush, fields and buildings.

The size of the piles and proximitry to the woods might not lend itself to this, but hey, maybe they would enjoy a chalenge. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Using Grapple to pull brush tips tractor forward
I think you and Rambler have the answer get out of 4wd. I'll try it this weekend and let you know but it would definitly stop the rear from raising if thats the only source of movement.
Rambler as far as 3 to 5 thousand pounds I don't have anything that weighs that much my BB is the heaviest implement at 1200 lbs I can certainly start loading stuff on top of it but I'll try the 2wd first as that sounds like it might be the safest.
steve

/ Using Grapple to pull brush tips tractor forward #26  
Steven, I think you need to lower your bucket when you are pulling brush out of the pile. Think about the geometry. If the load you are pulling on is below the vertical centerline of the tractor, a pull would tend to actually push down on the rear wheels. Only when you pull a load that is above the center line can you actually lift the rear wheels. I think you just need to change your technique and "attack" your piles directly from the front rather than the top. Also don't try to use the loader to lift the load until it has been pulled from the pile with the loader very low to the ground.

/ Using Grapple to pull brush tips tractor forward #27  
Seems like Slowzuki had the right idea ...of course, the rear should be ballasted to counterbalance the max lift of the FEL, and you should be able to calculate this with the helpl of the loader manual ...BUT the likely culprit is that the entire pile, interlaced as it probably is, is the resistance you have to fight ...SO, as suggested, coming in low (for stability) and curling is the right approach, so as to break free your load BEFORE backing up. The FEL manual should spell out the fact that you have more force in curl than in lift, anyway. ...just my thoughts here ...of course, you may already be doing this

/ Using Grapple to pull brush tips tractor forward #28  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The only suggestion I can make is to get a grappling hook to put on the end of a tow rope/chain and throw it into the pile and pull on part of the pile to get some of it out first. Hook to your drawbar where you'll have less chance of any problems.)</font>

Will this hook do? Stevenf, you are welcome to borrow it!

Attachments

• 618325-Tractor Hook - small.jpg
    618325-Tractor Hook - small.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 407
   / Using Grapple to pull brush tips tractor forward #29  
I was thinking of something more like this grappling hook.
John

Attachments

• 618720-grapplinghook.jpg
    618720-grapplinghook.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 240
   / Using Grapple to pull brush tips tractor forward #30  
Yes, yours is much more practical. My suggestion was supposed to be somewhat humorous. The "hook" I showed stands over 41/2 feet high, and is quite heavy. Just another case of myself being the only one to "get" the gist of my humour. My mind must work in mysterious ways....

I have actually used this "hook" to pull a rather large beaver dam apart. Beaver dams are real tough to break up. I managed to get this hook inserted and pulled low- drawbar. It sure managed to loosen and break things up.

I did have wardens permission to destroy the dam.

Attachments

• 618815-Beaver Dam for Web.jpg
    618815-Beaver Dam for Web.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 270