transfer tanks

/ transfer tanks #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I am needing a fuel tank for my truck to refuel my tractor. I burned about 18 gallons today and hauling the 5 gallon cans is getting old. I have a 250 gallon diesel tank at the house that I use to fill up the tracor and the 5 gallon cans but I need something in my truck for at the jobs.

Prices I have been getting are around $300 for a 30-50 gallon tank and then another $200 for a 12v pump. For $500 maybe the 5 gallon cans are not so bad. Any sources or cheaper solutions?

/ transfer tanks #2  
If your not concerned about looks, shop around for a cheap, used "side mount" diesel fuel tank off a Peterbilt, KW etc.
Plug the fittings in the bottom, make a mount for your truck, weld a pipe fitting on top to except the 12V pump and WHAAA-LAAA!
You should be able to find tanks from 35 to 150 gal., a 150 will fit between the rails of pick up bed.

Norm

CK20ST

/ transfer tanks #3  
I got a couple 30 gallon plastic roundup barrels from a farmer. Washed them out good and dried. Had to duct tape some folded paper towels on a plastic tomato stake to get the last few drops out. A barrel pump will fit in one of the bung holes. My pump was made for oil and pumps about a pint per stroke but works for me. A fuel pump will also fit. My tractors are 15 and 18 horse Mitsubishis. And don't leave the property. When one barrel gets low I strap the other in the pickup and go get some offroad diesel. It is small enough to lay it down full and tilt it off the tailgate then move into place in the barn. These type barrels are available for purchase and are made of high density polyethylene, same as your 5 gallon cans unless you have steel.

/ transfer tanks #4  
I have a 300 gallon skid tank with a 12v Gasboy pump at my place. I use 55 gallon barrels to transport fuel from the station to my place and gravity feed the fuel from the barrels to the tank.

I built a frame to hold the barrels laying on their side and installed a ball valve on the 3/4" bung on the top of the barrel. I orient the barrels on the frame so the large fill hole is on top(12 o'clock) and the 3/4" hole is on the bottom(6 o'clock). The barrels will hold approx. 50 gallons each set up like this.

I have a 10' length of fuel hose, same type used on most supply nozzles, that I connect to ball valve using 3/4" unions and let gravity transfer the fuel into my tank. I also use a spin on filter mounted in line to filter and remove any moisture in the fuel before it goes into my skid tank. The barrels lying flat in the back of my truck are slightly higher than the fill location on my 300 gallon tank. It takes around 10 minutes or so to transfer one barrel to the skid tank.

If you are in a hurry you can use compressed air to force the fuel from the barrel to the tank. I have some barrel fittings that replace the standard 2" cap with a 2" cap that has a 3/4" female NPT fitting in the center. You can plumb compressed air into the barrel at this location and push the fuel from barrel to tank although you run the risk of introducing some moisture/contaminants from the compressed air.

I found new barrels for around $25.00 and free barrels from quick lube places and other industrial type locations.

Dave

/ transfer tanks #5  
dpdee30 ... Why don't you just get a load of #2 fuel oil deliverd to the 300? Aside from the dye its the same product as high sulfur diesel ... Scozz

/ transfer tanks #6  
In my area you have to order at least 1000 gallons and order it a least once a month to get a "good" price on #2 diesel. I also fuel my Dodge Cummins from the same skid tank so I need to run road fuel. I have had fuel delivered in the past, ag and road fuel, and haven't been impressed with the qualilty of the fuel delivered.

I live in MD and work in VA, I can pick up fuel much cheaper in VA. I can currently buy #2 fuel at my local place in MD for 2.359 per gallon, if I have 1000 gallons of #2 delivered to my place it would be around 2.29 per gallon. The local distributors take the "rack" price then add the MD state tax, .25 per gallon, and the fed tax, .25 per gallon, and add .25 per gallon on top of that. I can buy #2 fuel in VA on my way home from work for around 2.119. I fill up my barrels and a few jerry cans when I fuel my truck and bring it home and dump it in my tank and I am good to guy for a couple of months.

I can also control the quality of fuel in my skid tank by buying from a good source and filtering it when I load it in my tank. Some of the fuel that is delivered around here for ag and home heating use is not the same quality that you would find at a busy station.

Ask my wife, she will tell you lot's of stories. I will spend $ driving around to save $ on fuel/gas /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. I will also drive 20 miles out of my way to avoid 5 miles of traffic /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but that is another story.

Dave

/ transfer tanks #7  
Bdog,

I don't know what state your from but I know in `Mass. `The `DOT & State Police & the Locals are all on the lookoutfor the little guy w/ a pick up w/ a transfer tank mounted in the bed...
Just a word of warning to a friend.

Here in Mass we can legally transport up to 21 gals. ( Gasoline) in 3 separate 7 gal max. containers, not bieng transported in the passenger space----
Diesel fuel - we can transport legally 55 gals. in up to a substantial steel drum. ( Not sure of Poly drum??)
These are the limits one can Legally transport w/out a Fire Marshall Transfer Tank Sticker.

The P.D. looks for these Stickers on all mounted tanks on trucks here.
The tank has to be a certain gu. thickness steel.
Securely mounted.
Top Draw only. All other top openings plugged wrench tight.
You do not need placards.
110 gal. Max.
Diesel fuel only.
A suitable Pump, properly installed in a workmanship like manner & properly fused if electric.
No leaks & in proper repair.
A durable Hose.
No CDL needed.
Fire Extinguisher -- 1A-10BC Rating, accessably mounted.
No Dump Bodies.
You need a Fire Marshall Apllication to transport Flammable Liquids & also display on or near the tank the Sticker you will get with the Application - after the Fire Dept. Inspection.
Go to your local F.D. & ask for the App. & Sticker.
Most or all of the conditions above are DOT also and the Dot is Nation wide.
Not sure of the Regs in your State but be sure to check to avoid any hassels.

Good Luck & be Careful. Two Dogs /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif