Oil & Fuel Diesel torque difference mostly myth?

/ Diesel torque difference mostly myth? #1  

getut

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20HST
I got into a discussion with a co-worker yesterday about tractors. He has quite a bit of land and mows with a standard lawn mower. I inevitably started lauding diesel CUT and SCUT tractors and how they were much more than just a lawn mower. I stated the usual about diesels and their much improved torque. I stated that my little 20HP diesel could do much more than a 20HP gas. Well he asked the simple little word "why".

I started trying to do some simple research to show him. To my surprise the huge differences that diesel owners are taught to believe don't seem to be there (anymore). Now before everyone starts flaming me, let me explain what I saw.. I also invite any proof the other way.

I started trying to just show some quick numbers to my coworker, so I grabbed some data from Kioti's site for my CK20's 21HP engine and tryed to find as close a gas engine as I could. I found a Kohler 20HP engine. I was flabbergasted. The torque was only 9ft/lb different. Well within the limits of the 1 HP true output difference. I compared a couple different engines. Some were slightly further apart. All favored the diesel... but none were huge. Only very slight. I started looking at some of the "scientific" sites and all seemed to corroborate what I had seen in the numbers. It seems that 95% of diesel engines torque advantage come from the tendency of diesel engines to have smaller bores but longer stroke than equivalent CC or CI gas engines. Not some magical property of simply being a diesel. In other words... create a gas engine with the same cubic inch, but in the same configuration (bore and stroke) and diesel torque is only VERY slightly better than gas. The remaining difference comes only from the higher compression of diesel which causes the torque curve to be different (not necessarily more) and the very slight more btu from diesel than gas.

So it seems that with todays newer (smaller) higher revving diesels, that yesterdays truth that diesels give tremendously more torque, is turning into todays partial myth. I guess it still holds true for big trucks with tremendously long strokes, but in the small diesels it seems it isn't as true. Many of the sites seem to say that with the advent of smaller, higher revving diesels, the "perceived" longevity of diesels as compared to gas will suffer as well. Longevity is a function of revolutions per work unit performed. Diesels have traditionally turned far fewer revolutions to perform the same amount of work, even that gap is narrowing because of the new short stroke diesels.

/ Diesel torque difference mostly myth? #2  
It is not a myth, it is a fact:

A gas engine compresses a fuel-air mixture and then ignites it with a spark. A diesel engine compresses just air, to such a high pressure and temperature that when fuel is then injected, it ignites automatically with no need for a spark. This is the fundamental difference between the two engines.

...so, a diesel engine has to do more compression than a gas engine does, to get the fuel to ignite. Conversely, a gas engine cannot do as much compression as the diesel engine does, because the fuel-air mixture it is compressing would ignite too early, at the wrong moment. Remember the diesel engine just compresses air, so it doesn't have that problem.

...so, the piston in the diesel engine has to travel further, in order to compress the air more. So the piston stroke is longer in a diesel engine.

...and, a longer piston stroke means a larger diameter crankshaft. Assuming the force coming from the gas piston and the diesel piston is equal, then the diesel piston has a longer lever arm and is turning its crankshaft with greater torque (but, necessarily, at fewer revolutions per minute). The gas piston may be delivering the same power, but it is delivering it by turning a crankshaft at more revolutions per minute, with less torque.

/ Diesel torque difference mostly myth? #3  
It is more that simple torque, it is also a matter of gearing and weight.

Put your tractor on your trailer and drive to your coworkers house. Hook a 20' length of chain to the drawbar hitch on your CK, then to the tow hook/hole on his GT. To make things seem fair, tell him he can start trying to pull you before you apply any pressure to your HST pedal. As soon as he spins his tires, begin to pull him around the yard backwards until he finally gives up. And then for good measure, drag him around for a couple more minutes until his ego is completely shattered and he is as submissive as a bad puppy who got caught pooping on the rug.

I have yet to find a small CUT that can't win this battle with absolutely no effort or strain.

If you want to really have fun, invite over a bunch of other workers and have them take bets. Also, just to make your tractor look smaller, leave the FEL at home (or on the trailer in case you want to show it off after the demonstration, you can use it to roll his GT into a ditch).

Don't forget to take a couple business cards from your tractor dealer and pass them out.

EDIT: by the way, before you start, he will likely say that your tractor is bigger and the match is not fair. Remind him that your engine HP is essentially equal and since your tractor is bigger, the engine has to work harder to move your tractor, in essence argue that his tractor will be able to put more HP to the job because it has less size/weight of its own to move around.

Also, just for us folks on TBN, make sure you take & post some photos.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Diesel torque difference mostly myth? #4  
A diesel HP is the same as a gas HP. It's just a unit of measure. It's where the HP occurs in the rpm's that will be different. The torque is a direct result, all things considered, of the lever created by the crank throw coupled to the conn rod, i.e the longer the stroke the greater the torque produced. Some diesel's will have a longer stroke and produce more torque than some gas engines at any given rpm. The longer stroke engines have more reciprocating travel and will generally be limited to a lower rpm to prevent scattering the guts all over the floor.
I'll wager you have started a long thread here Mr. Getut.
Best of luck,
Martin

/ Diesel torque difference mostly myth?
ummm.. that is exactly what i said above, but with a different conclusion.

My conclusion: With the same stroke and bore (apples to apples)... the torque difference hardly exists... it is still there and still favors diesel but is VERY small.
Edit: Traditionally for a given HP, the diesel HAD a longer stroke than a gas engine which is what won it the higher torque and lower RPM and longer life. Todays diesels more closely resemble gas, turning higher RPM's with a shorter stroke (decreasing torque) and reducing life.

Todays smaller/higher revving diesels with the short stroke are taking away all the advantages that we traditionally used diesels for anyway... such as the higher torque and longevity.

Oh Bob.. I know.. I'm talking more just engine... no tranmissions, tractors etc. Pure diesel engines vs. gas.

/ Diesel torque difference mostly myth? #7  
<font color="blue"> ...so, the piston in the diesel engine has to travel further, in order to compress the air more. So the piston stroke is longer in a diesel engine. </font>

No, compression can be raised simply by reducing the combustion chamber volume in the head. A longer stroke is not a necessity.

Diesels usually last longer because they are built more stoutly to handle the higher compression and explosive combustion, versus much lower compression and (hopefully) controlled combustion in gasoline engines.

/ Diesel torque difference mostly myth? #8  
Nope, diesel longetivity and power are not going down as you mentioned, instead they are going way way way UP.

The reason is super simple, the combustion pressure in modern turbocharged diesel engines is over 220 bar now, previously nothing could come anywhere close to that, simply due to the fact that combustion chamber design and materials could not withstand such intense pressures (the only gasoline powered engines with that kind of pressure are alcohol or nitromethane powered and only have a life spane of a couple of hours..... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ). The only limit to diesel combustion chamber pressure is material and with the new sintered graphite heads they can withstand even more. Modern turbodiesels are putting out >100 HP per liter of displacement where ten years ago 30HP per liter was considered the maximum attainable.

The BMEP of diesel engines is always going to be higher than a petrol powered design, besides diesel has more BTU per volume of fuel too.

I agree with you for technological changes from engine to engine.. but I am talking on the same engine apples to apples.

On the exact same engine the higher the RPM and/or the higher the compression, the shorter the lifespan will be.

You are entirely correct but are broadening the discussion too far.

/ Diesel torque difference mostly myth? #10