Will my tractor be around in 30 years??

/ Will my tractor be around in 30 years?? #1  

ocaj11

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 5325 4wd, Kubota B7500 HST
I have a 2004 model tractor (Kioti DK55). After owning it for 6 months, I'm starting to wonder if it will be operational in 30 years. I did tons of research before buying the tractor and drove/inspected many different models/brands. All in all, I think they are pretty similar in build quality and materials used (not trying to start a brand war here /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif). Todays tractors use much more plastic/fiber glass/etc. in place of good ole steel. What are your thoughts on longevity with the "modern tractor??

We also own a 1975 JD 1530 and owned a Ford 8N (early 50's??) before that. The JD starts first time every time after 30 years of use. Will my tractor, or any of the newer tractors, be around in 30 years??

If the majority answer is that the tractors of today aren't made as sturdy as the tractors of yesteryear, when did they begin to be made with less quality materials??

I like new equipment because of the perception of fewer problems. My Dad has always bought used and seems to come out OK. For the 200-300 hour a year user, does it make sense to buy new or should I stick to used in the future??

I know every question here is subjective, but I wanted to hear some thoughts from the rest of you.

/ Will my tractor be around in 30 years?? #2  
First of all, I will probably not be operational in 30 years, so I don't care! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Secondly, if these tractors are maintained properly, I see no reason they should not still be doing just fine in the future.
Most of the members of TBN are first time, or raretime tractor users, so I'm not sure most could really give an objective opinion regarding the quality of old vs new tractors.
The one important thing about all tractors is that they all need some repairs at times. None of the 30+ year old tractors to which you refer got there without some repairs and good maintenance. The new ones should be just fine. Of course, there may be MORE repairs due to high end electronics and less durable materials, but most of that will be replaceable/repairable also. John

/ Will my tractor be around in 30 years?? #3  
ocaj11

Sure! I think your tractor will be around in 30 years from now, if you take care of it, and you are not a old guy like me, so that you will be using it in 30 years from now. I had a 1957 Ford 600 tractor that my dad bought new that I gave to my son a couple years ago. This tractor has been overhauled 3 or 4 times, and runs like a top. My son uses it all the time to bush hog a few acres that he owns. In my area where I live, a lot of people still use tractors that are 30 or 40 years old or older on their farms. A tractor is something that has to be taken care of, and it will last a long time.

Cabinholler

/ Will my tractor be around in 30 years?? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Todays tractors use much more plastic/fiber glass/etc. in place of good ole steel. What are your thoughts on longevity with the "modern tractor??

We also own a 1975 JD 1530 and owned a Ford 8N (early 50's??) before that. The JD starts first time every time after 30 years of use. Will my tractor, or any of the newer tractors, be around in 30 years??
)</font>

Those were some of my concerns as well. I have favored buying tractors with less electronics, bells and whistles, and fiberglass / plastic.

I also have many antiques. Most notably, my ford 8n and 660 Both are still oem 6v electrical system, and start of the first rev, run great. They are now 50+ years old. When I bought my first NH tractor a few years back.. I got a 1920 due to the metal hood vs the plastic hood ont he TC series. When I traded that I was looking a a ford 5000 or a NH 7610s.. both big steel tractors. no fiberglass or plastic.

For this same reason I like gear trannies, and limited electrical systems. That way.. 20 ysa down the line I'm not stuck with a tractor that needs an ignition module or some other silly feature that no longer exists.. etc.

Soundguy

/ Will my tractor be around in 30 years?? #5  
One reason I went for the 790 is the simplicity of the tractor. I've little doubt the tractor would be around for 30 years. I think it's reasonable to expect Deere to maintain parts support as well.

The machines with a bunch of bells and whistles (cruise control...things like that) or other electronic gear may have problems finding parts for the optional components. Even the option-laden tractors shouldn't have too much trouble finding the basic components (engine, drive train). The gears will be available, but electronic componentry for eHydro might not.

There seems to be a trend to buying "Cadillacs" over the basic tractors. Can't say I disagree with that trend for recreational users (as most of us are), although I'm more of a basic tractor kind of guy.

Of course, this refers more to the better known brands with a solid parts network. For Kioti, Branson and the multitude of Chinese tractors being sold under a variety of names...well, my guess is they'll be the tractors parked in a field with weeds growing through them. Of course, this depends if those brands increase in popularity. Kioti may...but I doubt the Chinese brands will...personally, I consider them throw away tractors.

Now, there is a high probability I won't be around in 30 years to see if my forecast had any validity.

/ Will my tractor be around in 30 years?? #6  
My fear with all makes of tractor produced nowdays is parts availability years down the road. It seems that every time you turn around, there's a host of NEW TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPEMENTS changing the look of tractors. Will smaller companies have the replacement parts inventory to keep up with all thoses changes....???? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I farm and operate my mowing/landscaping business with "older" tractors. Mid-70's to mid-80's stuff (All Deere) They are simple, reliable, easy for me to repair if needed, and parts are available and plentiful. I stick with models that were/are popular and produced in large numbers. That gives me hope that parts will be RE-produced when the original parts inventories run out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

After looking at a few "newer models", I see where even Deere uses parts from uotside sources nowdays. Will those parts be available years from now? I doubt it... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Also, especially in the larger AG tractor market, the farm crisis of the '80's made manufacturers re-think strategies. Older equipment lasting so long, combined with the reduced demand for newer tractors meant they needed to start building in "obsolescence" into their products if there was any hope of selling new equipment further down the line. I have a 200 HP MFWD tractor built in 1989 that is about 50% of the quality of my earlier models (1971,1978,1979, 1981 models) They everyone rolled off of the same assembly line, at the same Waterloo Iowa factory. Yet the newer one has significantly lower quality. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

OK, my soapbox is getting a little shakey from all my jumping up and down on it, so I better step down now.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Will my tractor be around in 30 years?? #7  
I'd be most concerned with things like electronics, but the real issue is the volume of tractors produced. It's no big deal to tool up a simple mechanical part if there are enough units out there to create a market - that's why there are so many old Fords, MF, IH, JD, etc still running. They were fairly simple and the volume was high, so people still make replacement parts for them. If not, none of them would still be running, as everything wears out. I tried to avoid too much plastic too.

When it comes to things like electronic controls, you can be sure that the control unit is likely to fail in that time period, and the ICs inside will be long out of manufacture, so you're dependant on someone redesigning it to work with whatever parts are on the market at that time. If there are enough tractors out there, that won't be a problem, but....

In 30yrs, we'll be lucky to be able to find and afford the fuel to run them.

/ Will my tractor be around in 30 years?? #8  
Just some food for thought on the subject guys....there are advantages to plastics over metals in some uses. I don't think any of today's manufacturers are using plastic where strength is really an issue. To some degree, the same can be said for many of today's electronic components over those of yesteryear. Many electronic components being used today are more generic in nature and therefore more available because they can be used in several applications. Regarding availability, you can look at the world today and see that are still vendors out there supplying parts for the older tractors. As long as the older tractors are out there, I think you'll find someone somewhere trying to make a living supplying the needed parts for them. I own one of those "throw away tractors" referenced in a previous post....a 1980 model Iseki TL-1900. Although somewhat limited in numbers out there, I'm still finding vendors who tell me that can get most any part I need for this now 25 year old tractor.

Just my thoughts on the subject....maybe because I own one of these older "throw away tractors" I'm being hopefully optomistic! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Will my tractor be around in 30 years?? #9  
The answer to your question has a lot to do with the company, and also with how popular the tractor model is.

If the company is a big name, and financially very sound then parts may still be available. Is there a clear parts support channel? The made in China tractors don't have this and are more likely to be in a scrap pile.

How popular the model is will determine how many are out there breaking and how long the manufacturer will be willing to make parts. You can still get most Ford parts because there are so many and because the company is strong. This also encourages third party manufacturers to make parts, as is the case on old Fords. More made also equals more in the junk yard for parts.

I chose a Kubota M6800 and considered the life issue in great detail. So far five years have flown by.

It only takes one inexpensive but hard to home fabricate part to put a tractor in the junk yard.

/ Will my tractor be around in 30 years?? #10  
I don't know about you guys but I'm not driving a Model A Ford because I'm worried about keeping it simple or even getting parts 30 years down the road.

I'm confident that parts will be around for most modern tractors when the time comes but if they aren't then my suggestion would be to trade the bugger in, cut your loss and go from there.

Hey there have been some members here at TBN that haven't got 12 months on a tractor before finding that they had a real lemon, dumping it, and moving on.

When you spread the cost of a tractor out over a 10 or 20 year period it's really not a bad investment for all the work that it does around the homestead.

Most of us pay a lot more for an automobile than a CUT today and I don't think anyone here is expecting to get 30 years on their SUV. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif