Mowing Scientific experiment - waxing mower deck.

/ Scientific experiment - waxing mower deck. #1  

Mith

Veteran Member
I carried out a highly scientific study to see if waxing the underside of your mower deck improved collection ability.
Two lawn tractors were used, exactly the same in every way, except colour.
The first tractor was the control (A)
The second having had the underside of the deck waxed. (B)The picture shows the deck from tractor B after waxing

I started off by mowing some lawn to a height of 2 inches with another tractor.
The two test tractors (A+B) would be set to cut the grass (2") to a height of 1", thus taking off 1" of grass. The day dawned sunny, so the grass was dryish, slightly damp at the roots
Each tractor took its turn to cut a strip of grass in the area.

Results
Tractor A, the control, did not clog. Upon inspection of the deck there were clumps of grass stuck around lumps (bolt heads ect) on the deck, the underside of the deck totally covered in a thin film of grass.
Tractor B, the waxed deck, did not clog up. There were again clups stuck around lumps on the deck but a thin film of grass was not present as on the unwaxed deck.

Conclution
The difference is so slight that i doubt it is worth waxing yer deck. The clumps of grass did wash off the waxed deck easier with the power washer (peeled off almost). So unless you are really bored and in need of something to do i wouldnt bother waxing your deck

THE END

PS, any other things i should try to the decks while i have two identical mowers?

PPS, the wax may prevent rusting of the deck if left with grass on its underside as the water wouldnt penetrat to the metal.

Cheers /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:
   / Scientific experiment - waxing mower deck. #2  
Mith-

First off, give my regards to "The Isles". Beautiful country, polite, friendly people, and home to the Rolling Sones.

With respect to the mowing decks, I have been told by several people in another forum that a thin coat of WD40 will help keep the deck clean. You might not want to pressure wash the deck as this can remove lubrication and increase the chance of rusting.

Cheers from this side of the pond,
Bonehead

/ Scientific experiment - waxing mower deck.
Bonehead,
You sound like you have been to "The Isles", where were you at? I would like to return the regards to the USA, afterally you bring me this site /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Either way, cheers!

I will try the WD-40, maybe tomorrow, just for sciences sake.
Apart from the bearings i cant think of anywhere on a deck that there is lubrication to be removed. I always allow the bearings to cool before washing to prevent water from being sucked in. Tomorrows first job is to regrease the bearings, i like to do this after washing.

Thanks

/ Scientific experiment - waxing mower deck. #4  
<font color="purple"> "I carried out a highly scientific study..." </font>

Seeing as the colors were different, a potentially significant variable, my conclusion is that it wasn't the study that was highly scientific, but merely that the scientist was high. But that's OK.

As I recall we were recently "Tractor Whispering" when I learnt that you and your neighbors gain "status" 5 hrs earlier than us on the east coast. Does that hold true during "day light savings time?"

At first I though this might be a real blessing, but then reconsidered after I realized just how much earlier I have to wake in order to get started. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

You may consider the following for future studies:
1 Control tractor A - baby it.
2 Tractor B - beat it like a rented mule.
3 Then compare quality of cut, ease of operation, and fuel economy.

I'm just curious as to what I'm missing out on. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers...edski

/ Scientific experiment - waxing mower deck. #5  
my thoughts exactly /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif just keep it clean of build up and you are good to go

/ Scientific experiment - waxing mower deck. #6  
Hey edski, sounds like you've been breathing a little fumes on your own there. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mith- I've been the "The Isles" a couple of times, once right after college on my own (travelled through Europe for 6 weeks, can only remember 3 of those) and once with my wife before our kids were born (we drove around England and Scotland staying at B&Bs). I can't understand why people (including the British) put down the food. We thought it was great.

To get back to the subject at hand, if you really wanted to do the WD40 experiment in a scientific way, you would have to get 2 new mowers to eliminate any influence from the wax (hey, I used to be a scientist!).

Also, why would you have 2 identical mowers?
Bonehead

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( wasn't the study that was highly scientific, but merely that the scientist was high )</font>
Edski, i think ive got most of the beer out from my keyboard, the bubbles feel funny in you nose when you snort it. Yes, it is true in daylight saving times, but i started AFTER making the post and doing the experiment.
But now it is time for bed, i will reply better in the morning

Goodnight /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Scientific experiment - waxing mower deck. #8  
WD-40 on the bottom of the fenders on dirt bikes make cleanup easier when they get muddy...

/ Scientific experiment - waxing mower deck. #9  
That's one type of science Robert, and the rest of this thread is another. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Kinda enjoy it though. I thought I was the only one nuts enough to spray a bond breaker (WD-40) on a mower deck. 1999 I think. Been there, done that, not worth the effort. Old science. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good Morning!
Bonehead, Sounds like you have it travelled better than me!
I cant really think of an english dish, let alone ones that are put down! Apart from fish and chips and there aint nowt wrong with that! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Edski, whe i bought the red mower (having had the green one for ages) it had been abused, for example, when i pulled the dipstick the oil just reached to the bottom of it. So it had been mowing for a year with nearly no oil! The blades were chipped and really rounded, both front tyres were smooth and flat, it still worked though.
My point is, this abused red tractor has more rattles and stalls more and is harder to start that my green tractor that has been pampered (i change the oil every 20 hours on it ect..). After a blade change the quality of cut is the same, there aint no such thing as fuel economy on these, and theyre right %*^"(£$ to operate ( the steering was solid on the red one till i freed it though)
So in conclusion, mowers work better if you look after them!

PS, where i work i see most of the second hand mowers in our area, its kinda tempting /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, which is why i have too many mowers (and identical ones!)