4x4 - Don't know what I'd do without it!

/ 4x4 - Don't know what I'd do without it! #1  

tillboy2001

Gold Member
4x4 - Don\'t know what I\'d do without it!

Ok, yes I do....I'd slide down the hills we live on! Getting out in the field to mow for the first time this weekend really makes me appreciate 4x4! First issue in 4x2 mode is you really notice the tractor slow down a little on hills (I guess the tires are slipping slightly). Grass was totally dry and it hasn't rained for 2.5 weeks. Another thing I notice is going down hill with the finish mower, in 4x2 I sometimes start to slide straight down the hill. If I put 'er in 4x4, it's slow and easy...like I've got spikes in the ground! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Taking a turn to go back up the slope, the inside rear wheel starts to spin way too easy. Put it in 4x4 and no slip whatsoever. This along with loader work problems in 4x2, I can say I'm 100% happy to have 4x4. I'd recommend anyone sitting on the fence about spending a few extra bucks to go 4x4 go ahead and spend the extra money if you need to do loader work or have sloping land. It's well worth the money! Safety is another big issue too for me. I honestly wouldn't feel safe on this land without 4x4.

Partial view of the land. Many trees to mow under. Don't wanna slide into them /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 4x4 - Don't know what I'd do without it!
Re: 4x4 - Don\'t know what I\'d do without it!

This is my front lawn. Gives you a better look at why I need 4x4. See the angle of the grade? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 4x4 - Don't know what I'd do without it!

No, but we have a total of 440 lbs of rear wheel weights.

/ 4x4 - Don't know what I'd do without it! #5  

I know what you mean regarding a bit of slip going downhill with an implement. It's an uneasy feeling when you go from driver to passenger without switching seats. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I'm just a couple of hours up-river from you. Your grade (in the pic) is what we call gently rolling hills around here. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Cheers...edski

/ 4x4 - Don't know what I'd do without it! #6  

It is tough to get the exact interpretation of slope using a two dimensional picture. My pics always seem less steep than in reality, but then again being on a steep slope on a tractor may seem steeper than it actually is too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wonder if anyone has ever done a study on how frequently increasing your 'pucker factor' reduces your chances of getting hemoroids /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Call them hills, or mountains, but I personally would not be without MFWD on my tractor on my land. MFWD also comes in handy when pushing or pulling heavy items on any land.

Yea I could get by without it, but why would I want to?

/ 4x4 - Don't know what I'd do without it! #7  

NO WAY I could run without 4wd on a 4 wheel tractor on my hills, and I always leave it in 4wd unless I'm going quite a ways down the neighbor's driveway.

Had to go with dual wheels on my walk-behind Gravely. It wouldn't pull the hills without the duals.

Don't have to worry about going downhill at all with either of them, even with 850# in the bucket on the JD or near 1,000# in the cart behind the Gravely. They hold back.

Ralph

/ 4x4 - Don't know what I'd do without it! #8  

I have to agree with you - I don't know what I'd do without 4x4. I originally began looking for two wheel drive because that's what my neighbor has and he seemed to be doing alright. My better judgement took over and I sprang the few extra bucks for 4 wheel drive. I have been clear a building site for the last few month and I don't believe I could do such things as pushing over trees or pulling them out with a chain or the heavy FEL work I've done without 4x4. Tried two wheel drive a few times on some of the trees and she would just spin the rear tires.

/ 4x4 - Don't know what I'd do without it! #9  

pz31g22

I wouldn't even think about using a front end loader on a tractor, if it wasn't on a 4X4. Pay the extra money, and get a 4X4 tractor. The other day I was using my 4X4 tractor and loader to lift some some small logs on my farm. The front end of my tractor was kind of down hill when I picked up the small logs with my loader. I started to back up. The back wheels of the tractor started to spin, and I was going nowhere. Guess what! I forgot to put the tractor in 4X4. I put the tractor in 4X4 with the loader loaded and backed up and the tractor didn't even slip a wheel. If I had a 2 wheel tractor with this load, I couldn't have backed the tractor up the hill.

Years ago, I farmed with my dad, and all we had was 2 wheel tractors. Things have changed since then. Most people that have a tractor now days have front end loaders on them. There is nothing like having a 4X4 tractor with a front end loader on it. You can do so much more with a loader on a 4X4 tractor, and it is a lot more safer to.

Cabinholler

/ 4x4 - Don't know what I'd do without it! #10  

The only 2WD I would want would not be a compact tractor. It would be a high HP Utility. The compacts are just too small and light, and really need the front wheel assist/drive to do well with a loader, or as you found out, on sloping land. John