Slime?

/ Slime? #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
I've had to add air to one of my front tires a couple of times. I've seen several people recommend slime to stop leaks. Gotta plead ignorance here - - something I'm not familiar with. Is it something like fix-a-flat?

How do you apply it, how does it work, what are the advantages/drawbacks??

thanks,

Jack

/ Slime? #2  
It's better than fix a flat. Just remove the valve core and pump the required quanty in as stated on the side of the jug for your tire size. Napa, tractor supply and many others carry it.

/ Slime? #3  
Easy to spot green liquid in clear bottle. Make sure you have an air source.

/ Slime? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've had to add air to one of my front tires a couple of times. I've seen several people recommend slime to stop leaks. Gotta plead ignorance here - - something I'm not familiar with. Is it something like fix-a-flat?)</font>

Jack, I recently had a flat on a front tire. I posted a thread in this forum called "Need info on foam filled tires." There is quite a bit of talk about the Slime in that thread if you want to look through it. I think I am going to add some to my front tires to prevent future problems. I was at Wal-Mart the other day and saw some.. like a poster said earlier.. it's bright green and you can't miss it! It's cheap also. I beleive all that you have to do is let the air out of your tire, fill with the proper amount of Slime, air it back up, and then drive it around.

/ Slime? #5  
Harbor Freight has it on sale quite often so check with them if you have a store near you.
The directions are on the bottle, but make sure you drive the tractor around a bit right after putting it in or it won't disperse properly.
I notice another brand at my dealer's the other day, but don't remember the name. I've used slime in my riding mower, and now going to get some from the CK20. John

/ Slime? #6  
Does the Slime hurt the rims or is it difficult to clean out if you replace a tire?

I know that the fix a flat is a pain when it comes to that. I also have developed a leak in my right front after 2 years and was thinking about the Slime the other day as an option.

/ Slime? #7  
I dont know of any problems, I have had several ATV tires changed and the mechanic never went on a rampage like they would about fix-a-flat. It should stay on the rubber and not on the rim according to Mfg.

/ Slime? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does the Slime hurt the rims or is it difficult to clean out if you replace a tire?

I know that the fix a flat is a pain when it comes to that. I also have developed a leak in my right front after 2 years and was thinking about the Slime the other day as an option. )</font>

I'm a big fan of Slime. I have it in my four wheelers, CUT and backhoe.

The only tire it's not working real well is the back one on my backhoe, and that's a full size commercial backhoe. I think the tire is just too far gone for anything to work perminently anyway. Cuts, gashes and holes all through it. But it still holds air, just sometimes it will start leaking, then I drive it back to the barn and it's stoped. I think the Slime is trying real hard to stop the leak.

One issue that came up with Slime was when a rather large plug came out of the front tire in my backhoe. It was there when I bought it, so I didn't know about it. The tire was leaking air, I added slime and the leak stoped. A year later it started leaking again and slime wouldn't fix it. I brought the tire in to be patched and was told "you can't patch a tire that has had slime in it."

They had to put a tube in that tire.

/ Slime? #9  
I have slime in my tractor tires, but would still lose some air over a weeks time. I decided to have my fronts foam filled. The tire guy said that he has to clean out all the slime because it reacts with the two part foam.

Dave

/ Slime? #10  
i've used slime in 4wheelers & mowers. it seems to wrk well. i haven't broken down any tires to see if there is wheel damage since i added it.