Pull Behind Scraper Question

/ Pull Behind Scraper Question #1  

ocaj11

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 5325 4wd, Kubota B7500 HST
I would like to know what size scraper I can pull behind my tractor comfortably. We're building a couple of ponds this summer and I need to transport as much dirt as I can as cheaply as possible. I have a DK55 with FEL and 4wd. Tractor probably weighs around 6500 pounds with the loader. I could load the tires to make it heavier.

Would this size tractor pull a 6 yard scraper pan?? If not, what is the largest scraper I could pull??

I would like to dig the clay soil with the scraper and deposit on the levee. If digging with the scraper is too difficult, we have a dozer that can be used to break up the soil for ease of loading the scraper.

/ Pull Behind Scraper Question #2  
I'd be afraid that 6 yds. is probably too much for your tractor. I've used a semi-home built roughly 3 yd scraper on a 50hp tractor to clean out tanks and it was probably all that it could comfortably do. Now, a great deal depends on the soil and you say you have E. Texas clay which I would think at 6 yard bites would be too much to try to tackle. It sounds like you already have the scraper (no?) and are just looking for the unit to pull it. The dozer you mention might be the better tow unit for it.
Now, your tractor might be able to wallow through and partially load it in the right condition and that may be all you want..tough to say.

/ Pull Behind Scraper Question #3  
I checked the Rowse site, which by the way is a pretty good piece of equipment for a long time now, and they rate the 3 yd model at 50hp and up...http://www.rowserakes.com/300series.html...and the 7 yd units at 70hp plus.
So, it doesn't look like your Kioti is a good machines for trying to lug around this scraper you're wondering about...

/ Pull Behind Scraper Question #4  
One more thing....

The pull scraper is a wonderfully effective and efficient tool for moving large volumes of soil with minimal horsepower and I plan on using them often in the future. But, they start to loose their appeal in close wooded areas or where manueverability is a problem due to longer load/dump cycle times. Are you where a tractor & scraper combo can easily work? If so, go for it. If it's questionable, then your dozer may well be the more effective soil mover. You seem to have one on hand so it may not be worth the time, money, or effort to bring another piece of equipment into the equation....

/ Pull Behind Scraper Question #5  
I looked at getting a scraper for the same reason, moving lots of dirt as quickly and easily as possible. The cost factor along with my lack of knowledge about scrapers got me searching in a different direction.

After four months of looking, I bought a 1983 Ford F600 6yard dump truck for $3,250 that I stumbled across along the road coming home from looking at a different truck in the Metroplex.

My theory is it will be easy to sell when I'm done. It is the most manuverable method to get dirt to any location. It will haul enough material per trip to make it worthwhile.

/ Pull Behind Scraper Question #6  
   / Pull Behind Scraper Question
Thanks for the replies.

My father loves heavy equipment, so we've had dozers and backhoes for a long time. Our current equipment includes a Komatsu Dozer about the size of a D5, not sure what the model is, a John Deere 410 Backhoe and he just purchased a 70s model Leibherr (sp?) 50,000 pound trackhoe for 10K. The Dozer and Backhoe work well, but the trackhoe needs a little work before we get started. The turntable brakes are extremely weak and one of the track tensioners needs to be replaced. If we can get these issues fixed, we probably don't need a scraper??

The main thought process behind a scraper is the ability to move the dirt by myself in the evenings after work. It also gives the ability to spread the dirt/clay in thin layers that can be compacted quicker. If I could pull a 6 yard scraper I think it would be worthwhile. When you get down to 2 and 3 yard scrapers, the time might be better spent on the trackhoe??

I looked at the links that were provided and see that a 75 HP 4wd would be the minimum suggested requirement for a 6-7 yard scraper. Do you think the limiting factor is weight or power?? I think my tractor has enough power to spin the wheels in 4wd, so the limit must be weight/traction related.

We've discussed the purchase of a dump truck and that might be the answer. It would take two people with the dump truck method. One to run the excavator and one to run the dump. It just seems like the scraper would be the faster way to move the dirt and spread it.

The small pond will be approximately 3-4 surface acres and the large pond/lake should cover 12-15 acres if we can move the required amount of clay.

I'll try to take some pictures of the equipment and post later today. I love pictures and I know you guys do as well.

/ Pull Behind Scraper Question #8  
Does the dozer have a hitch? I've seen many construction projects around here where they are pulling the large scrapers. Traction and weight wouldn't be a problem in that case.

As far as your tractor, it is probably a combination of horsepower and weight. Usually with 4wd tractors they say you can handle higher hp equipment though so you may be ok. I'm not very familiar with your tractor model so I would be guessing.

I'm sure the HP would be needed for the scraping and filling and the weight for making sure it didn't kick you around after + traction during the initial scoop.

Here's a few pictures. I'm using Microsof Picture Manager to play with the size. Hopefully this posts fine....

This is the Liebherr Trackhoe. Not pretty, but it works....

Attachments

• 633477-The Monster.jpg
    633477-The Monster.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,237
Another of the trackhoe for perspective. The 4 wheeler is a Honda 500 Rubicon.

Attachments

• 633483-Perspective2.jpg
    633483-Perspective2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 893