Operating on slopes - the pucker factor

/ Operating on slopes - the pucker factor #11  
So how do you know at what degree on the tilt meter is the max without going over? Some folks put them on their Jeeps, but I just go by my gut, it's usually conservative, not to mention too big. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Operating on slopes - the pucker factor #12  
I don't know at what temperature my engine will overheat and crack the head, but I use a temperature gauge anyway.

/ Operating on slopes - the pucker factor #13  
Norm, since no one has mentioned it, check your owner's manual to see if you can widen the stance of your tires either by moving them out, or by switching sides and turning them around. You can get a LOT more stability if you can move them out some.
On my CK20, with R4's they are maxed out, but with R1's they can be adjusted out a little, not a lot. A little goes a long way on a slope.
The way you did it, while a PITA, was the safest way to go when in doubt. You did well to follow your instincts on that one.
It has been written that mose CUTs should NOT be on 20 degree slopes. I know some who do, but not I, said the man!
John

/ Operating on slopes - the pucker factor #14  
You will not catch me on a 20 degree slope trying to figure out whether or not my rig is going to roll or not.

When my tilt-meter reads 15 degrees we are outa there.

/ Operating on slopes - the pucker factor #15  
I don't own a tilt meter. Like Henro, I mostly operate on my own property and know it well. Well I used to. Having just gotten a new tractor it's kinda like starting over, or more like recalibrating the PF (pucker factor). I didn't know how sure footed and stable my old MF 253 was until I ran the B7610 on the same slopes. Maybe it's me or maybe the tractor, but it doesn't really matter. Until I'm comfortable it's slow and easy going.

/ Operating on slopes - the pucker factor #16  
I've got both a left/right and a forward/backward tiltmeter and I live by them on my hilly property. In my case, Deere says 20 degrees max left/right and 30 degrees max forward/backward and lordy after reading some of the very good references Skypup has linked us to on accident investigations (check out http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/face/KYFACE.html), I never want my family to find me crushed and lifeless under my tractor because I just had to get some whatever done on some blankety blank hillside. I also live by the seatbelt/ROPS.

/ Operating on slopes - the pucker factor #17  
Make sure that seat belt is on if you have a ROPS. That will give you a little more courage. If the courage runs out you are probably too far off camber and too steep. I think if you go slow and use some common sense all should go well. It is delving into the unknown which makes you pucker. Do it slowly and carefully and you should be okay... Have fun.

/ Operating on slopes - the pucker factor #18  
I have one small area in my yard that slopes 2 ways at the same time.

It slopes front to back and it also slopes left to right so no matter which way you go you are driving cross ways of a slope.

/ Operating on slopes - the pucker factor #19  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have one small area in my yard that slopes 2 ways at the same time.

It slopes front to back and it also slopes left to right so no matter which way you go you are driving cross ways of a slope. )</font>

I've got the same thing...fortunately, it's a relatively small area.

All I can do is back down and drive up across the lesser of the slopes.

I do know it takes quite a bit of inertia to get those weighted tires off the ground, so I feel pretty safe. I'm sure the tractor can take more of a slope then I can; that is, I run out of guts before the tractor runs out of stability. As long as I keep that ratio, I think I'll be pretty safe.

/ Operating on slopes - the pucker factor #20  
The pucker factor is a reality for me.

When looking at tractors last year, I borrowed a 7610 from a friend and moved dirt for a few days. After a few scary moments with one rear tire in the air, I quickly decided my rolling property was too challenging for the 7610 as I wanted to use it.

I waited an entire year to save enough to go up to an L with R4's for the wider footprint and weight. Granted I can still put too much in the bucket and get in the same position but the overall pucker factor is greatly reduced thus far.

David