Is my pricing fair?

/ Is my pricing fair? #1  

veejay

Tractor
TC33D
To those who either make some money from their tractor hobby or plan to. I have purchased a 661 ScapeRake (Harley type rake) and hope to make at least enough to pay myself back the investment. If I harley rake a yard and buy materials which is a preimum fescue at 10 pounds per 1000 sq. feet and use my straw blower at the rate of one bale per thousand sq feet. would 5 cents a square foot seem reasonable? My costs for the seed & straw are almost $15 per thousand sq. feet. I know that some of this will be dependent on the area of U.S. but any input would be appreciated and will go a long way toward helping me determine a fair & customary pricing structure.

Jim

/ Is my pricing fair?
I forgot to add that the $15 per thousand includes a starter fertilizer.

Jim

/ Is my pricing fair? #3  
Veejay,

$0.05 x 208 x 208 = $2163 per acre.

That seems like a lot to this cheap skate! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I don't have a clue as to what prices are for this kind of service. I look forward to hearing what the experienced here have to say. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Is my pricing fair? #4  
$.05/ft is cheap, I work with a guy that just had a new house built. His landscaper is charging him a grand to hydroseed a quarter acre. 1/3 acre lot - the drive, house, garage and walk. He's charging another 3K for topsoil and raking. He shopped around, this seems to be the going rate. He was quoted $.70 a foot for sod including installation and min site work, (no topsoil or rototilling).

/ Is my pricing fair? #5  
If your cost are $15.00 per 1000 square feet then one acre = $648.90. Since you broke it down to 1000 square feet you have 43.26 plots of 1000 square feet. Take that 43.26 times $15.00 and you end up with $648.26. So that is your material less fuel and maintenance. How many hours on an average can you do an acre. I would think you should be able to do an acre in an 8 hour span. Through in $100.00 per hour for the use of your machine along with your labor and you should be around $1,448.26. Now to me in our area this is right about where you should be. Your area may be different. For every acre you should put some money in for maintenane on your equipment. Maybe $100.00

Hope this helps you some. You pricing may be right in line for you area but I don't think you would get it around here.

murph

/ Is my pricing fair? #6  
I'd also recommend getting some insurance. As soon as you're charging, it isn't a hobby anymore, it's a business and your existing insurance might not cover you.

I carry a policy for 3 million dollars liability. It costs about $1,700 a year. Yeah, I know it's a lot, but I'm covered for anything from a wreck to the cost of cleanup should I leak oil or hydraulic fluid into the ground. I figure it's a lot cheaper to shell it out yearly than to loose everything in a single law suit.

Slim

/ Is my pricing fair?
Murph,

I agree with your figures if I am out in the open, however this price of 5 cents is working around tight areas i.e. structures, parking and utilities.

Veejay

/ Is my pricing fair?
Thanks for the input and I welcome any other comments. For now, based on the replies, I feel a good place is between 3.5 and 5 cents per sq foot depending whether the overall area is broken up into smaller hard to access pieces or out in the open in one plot and not a lot of structure to work around.

Jim

/ Is my pricing fair? #9  
as HENRO says , us more FRUGAL types would never pay that, BUT there are a lot of folks that will, because they don't have the equiptment, time, nor inclination to do do it. NOT A saying your price is high, just saying that you can charge what the area you are in will allow you to charge. just don't do it to cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Is my pricing fair? #10  
i think your pricing is reasonable. Contractors around us charge $.07 per square foot. Most lawns will be .5 acres and you have to move your machinery, you have to purchase the seed and fert. Your price is very good. I myself charge $.08 per square foot. I use the very best seed and good fertilizer and spread a pellet mulch. If you find the reaction I have seen you will be very busy.