OOPS 4WD Down Road

/ OOPS 4WD Down Road #1  

JasonL

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4110
Hi everyone! I drive my 4110JD about a mile down the road from my current home to my future homesite. When I got home last night I realized I ha inadvertantly left it in 4WD. My tractor doesn't have a light or indicator to remind me! First off- how hard on the tractor/tires is this? Secondly- is anyone else in the same boat and what do/did you do to remind yourself? Thanks- Jason

/ OOPS 4WD Down Road #2  
I don't think you hurt it any, especially if you were on a gravel road. Yes you probably did do some unwanted wear on your tires but you will get that anytime your on hard pavement whether in 4 wheel or not. But yes try and remind yourself everytime your in hi gear to also check the 4 wd.

murph

/ OOPS 4WD Down Road #3  
When I park mine after playing with it that's one of the steps I take . Along with putting everything in neutral , putting the brake on and idling the engine down. When I go to use it again it don't take long to remember I'm not in 4wd.

/ OOPS 4WD Down Road #4  
You never hurt it any.....it will be ok........... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ OOPS 4WD Down Road #5  
Like thcri said, tractor tires are not made for the road and in 4WD or not it will wear them quicker on hard pavement. Nothing hurt though.

I usually keep mine in 2WD until I need 4WD and then when I don't need it anymore I swith back to 2WD.

/ OOPS 4WD Down Road #6  
I have done the same thing Jason, In fact I did it today taking some dirt to my neighbors house.

I have thought about adding a light for the FWD...

/ OOPS 4WD Down Road #7  
While I certainly would try to avoid having the tractor in 4WD on a hard surface; i.e., pavement, both because of tire wear and strain on the driveline, I also doubt that you hurt anything. I once considered buying a rental unit from a Kubota dealer. It still had one month on the warranty and, if I remember right, had about 800 hours on the meter. Of course it was sitting on pavement on the dealer's lot and I noticed that the 4WD was engaged, and asked the salesman about that. Now I didn't get well enough acquainted with that salesman to know whether he really knew his business or not, but he said they put all the rental units in 4WD and leave them there.

/ OOPS 4WD Down Road #8  
Jason you might, I say again might do some damage if you were to drive in 4WD on hard street surfaces on a regular, daily basis. But forgetting occasionally isn't going to cause you any permanent damage.

We have all forgotten at one time or another to lock the 4WD out before hitting the road. Consider this post an admission of my own guilt.

/ OOPS 4WD Down Road #9  
That is one nice thing about Super-Steer and Sensi-Trak option on the New Holland units. I don't think I ever put mine in 4 wheel as it does is automatically.

murph

/ OOPS 4WD Down Road
Thanks Guys- I guess I won't worry too much about it then. I like the idea of a light or something, but am not sure where to start there. Mainly I have been moving dirt with FEL and blade so I need 4WD, but it is hard to remember to shut it off when I head down the road. NH's Sensi-Trac sounds nice but I'm pretty partial to green /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif and also wonder if that is just something to go wrong? Jason