need help on understanding draft control

/ need help on understanding draft control #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
I think understand what it does, at least in theory, but my manual makes no mention on how to use it. From what I understand you can adjust it to a desired draft or load when pulling a plow and if the draft gets above or below your setting it will automatically raise or lower the plow to maintain a constant draft.

I have a position control lever that raises the 3pt up and down and a draft control lever that is marked 1 on one end and 10 on the other. I can move the draft lever every which way and I notice nothing happening. How do I set it?

/ need help on understanding draft control #2  
bdog

On most newer tractors the main three-point hitch control lever can be used in three ways for your implements. (1) When the mode selector is in position control, the main lever position is directly related to the height of the three-point hitch. (2) When the mode slector is in draft control, the main lever actually selects the tractive force of tillage implements. (3) When the mode selector is in mixed control, the function of the main lever is a combination of position and draft controls.

A general rule for using the mode selector is this: Position control is the most widely used and should be used for all implements carried in three-point hitch above ground. In this mode, three-point hitch maintains constant height depending only on the position of the main lever.

My tractor has 3 levers side by side. The outer lever is used for the hydraulics. The middle lever is used for the three-point lift and, the inner lever next to the seat is the mode selector lever used for the position, draft, and mixed control. By the way, your three-point lift control lever should raise the rear lift arms in position, draft, or mixed control at all times.

I don't know what the problem would be if your rear lift arms will not raise, when you raise the three-point lift lever up. Make sure you aren't trying to raise the lift on your tractor by using the remote hydraulic lever. That lever is used for the hydraulic hoses to your implements.

Hope this has been some help, and hasn't been confusing to you.

Cabinholler

/ need help on understanding draft control
Thanks for the reply. I kind of understand what you are saying. My tractor has two levers. One moves the lift arms up and down, and the other is marked draft and from what I can tell does nothing. I have no selector switch of any kind to go between different modes.

I have been pulling a chisel plow and it can pull so hard that it stops my tractor. I thought this would be a perfect time to use the draft control as I could basically set it at a certain draft and just drive. Right now I am constantly raising and lowereing the chisel plow as in some areas it pulls light and in others it pulls hard. My problem is I don't know how to use the draft. I have tried putting the lever at 1, 5, 10 and it seems to do nothing. I can still stop my tractor with the plow and it never tries to lift it up on its own..

/ need help on understanding draft control #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Thanks for the reply. I kind of understand what you are saying. My tractor has two levers. One moves the lift arms up and down, and the other is marked draft and from what I can tell does nothing. I have no selector switch of any kind to go between different modes.

I have been pulling a chisel plow and it can pull so hard that it stops my tractor. I thought this would be a perfect time to use the draft control as I could basically set it at a certain draft and just drive. Right now I am constantly raising and lowereing the chisel plow as in some areas it pulls light and in others it pulls hard. My problem is I don't know how to use the draft. I have tried putting the lever at 1, 5, 10 and it seems to do nothing. I can still stop my tractor with the plow and it never tries to lift it up on its own.. )</font>

Your chisel plow is a drawn impliment. It pulls from the drawbar.....

Draft control is for the 3-point hitch.

The draft or load is sensed through the lower links or upper link (depending on tractor brands) The draft control has NO IDEA what sort of load is on the drawbar....

You won't get ANY draft response when pulling from the drawbar.....

/ need help on understanding draft control
My chisel plow is a 3pt. I have two of them, a 3pt, and a draw bar. The one I am trying to make the draft work on is a 3pt.

/ need help on understanding draft control #6  
bdog,

It's been awhile since I've used the draft control on my Massey, but like yours, I have two levers. Since I'm too lazy to find my manual, and it's raining too hard to justify a trip to the barn, I'll just relate what little I remember.
As I recall, I either set my 3 pt 100% up, or 100% down, then control the 3pt with the draft control. Remember, plows are designed to dig, ie. they want to pull down into the earth. The draft control limits the plows ability to dig deeper than where you set it. I hope that helps.

/ need help on understanding draft control #7  
On the Branson you will need to go to the back of the tractor and turn the draft lock out before the draft will work, there should be instructions next to the SMV sign, hope this helps