Sustained RPM's

/ Sustained RPM's #1  

Laminarman

Gold Member
Tractor
TC40DA
Sustained RPM\'s

I have a dumb question. Is running my tractor at high RPM's for long periods going to shorten it's life? I have a NH TC40DA with 100 hours on it. I just did some plowing and ran it at high RPM's (around 2500 give or take, I forget) for several hours the other day. I only slowed it once or twice very briefly. I'm still in "car" mode where I know this equates to more rapid engine wear. I am assuming I broke it in properly, and it is serviced by the dealer as recommended. I just don't know how these machines seem to last for decades with that kind of abuse. Thanks.

/ Sustained RPM's #2  
Re: Sustained RPM\'s

Not a dumb question at all, but the diesel engines in tractors are designed and built to run like that all day, day after day. In other words, you're just using it for what it was made for.

/ Sustained RPM's #3  

There are diesels all over the world that are never shut down, oil and the like changed while running. That's what the beauty of the diesel is, or at least one of them.
Slow idling at the same rate is more harmful than running it all out while you're working.
John

/ Sustained RPM's

Cool. So I don't have to worry. If anything most times I try to let her "cool down" a bit and let her rest. This is my first diesel vehicle of any sort and I'm amazed at how much abuse I can give it. Thanks a lot.

/ Sustained RPM's #5  

I like to let one idle and cool down a bit before shutting it down, but that's the only time.

/ Sustained RPM's #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If anything most times I try to let her "cool down" a bit and let her rest. )</font>
Just a couple of things extra.
Make sure you keep your radiator well cleaned out. If you have a prescreen as mine has, clean it every time before you start.
A good easy way is to use LOW psi compressed air and be careful not to let the blower tip hit the fins. High air pressure can bend them, so keep it LOW. Blow from the rear out to the front through the fan blades which will make the stuff go out the way it came in.
It's always a good idea to let the tractor idle for a little while before you shut it down after a good workout. Like you said, you let it cool off a little.

/ Sustained RPM's #7  

As the others have said, not a dumb question and your on the right track. Keep the RPM's up there will working her. When not working you can slow them down a bit and always before shutting down give her ten minutes at idle to cool down. Other than that never let her idle. When warming up keep her at a fast idle.

murph

/ Sustained RPM's #8  

AS OTHERS have said you won't hurt it a bit. as amatter of fact more harm can be done by not keeping up RPMS when working it. i usually idel it down a bit before shutting it off and i also like to set the throttle to where i like the RPMS on start up, BEFORE I SHUT IT DOWN.

/ Sustained RPM's

You guys have been very helpful. I never knew to warm her up or set a fast idle. I've been doing just the opposite. Let it idle real low when warming up, but shutting it off immediately when done (or at least after my five minute lope back to the barn). I'll change what I do now. I don't want to buy another tractor so would rather take care of it and make it last. Those steps are sure cheap enough to do. Thanks again!

/ Sustained RPM's #10  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( You guys have been very helpful. I never knew to warm her up or set a fast idle. I've been doing just the opposite. Let it idle real low when warming up, but shutting it off immediately when done (or at least after my five minute lope back to the barn). )</font>
I think rule of thumb is to warm up for at least 5 minutes in weather that isn't cold, 10 minutes for cool weather, and 15 minutes in COLD weather. Always remember not to operate your hydraulics until the fluid is warmed also because the thicker viscosity when cold can damage hydro pumps. If you don't have a turbo charger on your tractor 5 minutes cool down at low idle should be sufficient. At least 10 minutes with the turbo.
John
EDIT: I meant to also say that warm up should be at about 1/3 to 1/2 of rated speed, not low idle. J