Tires fluid filled tires are heavy!

/ fluid filled tires are heavy! #11  
Frank for the right price the wheel weights can be any color that you like including orange. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif They were actually black when I purchased them.

Thanks for the complement. It's simple, I didn't have to permanently modify my floor jack, and it works......

/ fluid filled tires are heavy! #12  
Being the newbie here, I have to ask. My Mitsu Beaver has 9.5 x 16s on the rear, non fluid filled. Is this tire too heavy for me to remove or should I leave it to the pros to do that. I really don't know.

/ fluid filled tires are heavy! #13  
According to the Titan site ( Titan Chart ) - a 6-ply 9.5x16 R1 should weigh around 45 lbs or so. Plus the steel rim weight, so, unless you have back problems you'd probably be OK. (Are you sure there's no fluid in the tires? - fluid could add another 120 lbs or more to those tires - big difference!).

Just as important is having the tractor supported safely with good jack stands - and making sure you torque the lug nuts down right when you're done.

By the way - welcome to TBN!

/ fluid filled tires are heavy! #14  
Had occasion to remove tractor tires this past weekend. Purchased a "shop crane" at the Chinese tool store for $169.
A darn good investment. It had no problem holding the tires up, and we were able to push the whole rig out of the way.

I can see where this crane will be usefull for a lot of things.

The only real difficult part was trying to line up the rim holes with the studs when mounting the large rear tires. Up and down was not a problem. The problem was trying to "roll" it even a little to line it up. Anyone have any tricks to do this?

This pic shows removing the front tire. It is on a 24" rim and fairly heavy. It was a snap.

Attachments

• 680555-Front tire small.jpg
    680555-Front tire small.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 282
   / fluid filled tires are heavy! #15  
This pic shows the rear tire under the boom. It is a 16.9 x 30, loaded with rimgard. This is one heavy hunk of rubber! I think the rimgard was aroung 760 lbs. Add to that the weight of tire and rim, and I guess it is at least 1000 lbs.

I did have a friend helping me with these rears, which was a good thing.

The "shop crane" held it extended and off the ground without a problem. I was very pleased with that, as I was somewhat apprensive. Even moving it around the garage was not a problem. However, I guess it did have all my attention as I neglected to get a pic of it in the air.

All four tires - off and on - about 2 hours.

Attachments

• 680558-Shop Crane Small.jpg
    680558-Shop Crane Small.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 285
   / fluid filled tires are heavy! #16  
Maybe a little hard to explain with words, but the way I always lined them up with the bolt holes was by using a fairly long crowbar (any good lever). By slipping it under the tire, but not exactly centered, then prying up would raise and turn the wheel a little at a time until they lined up.

/ fluid filled tires are heavy! #17  
I understand what you are saying, and it sounds good, but...the heavy tire is hanging by a chain and when pried over-around- some, does not stay there because it does not move on the chain, or strap. All it does is move sideways a little and when you let up with the lever it is back where you began.

I will have to find a way to take some weight off the chain, I guess.

I'm not sure I described it correctly, but hey, I know what I meant...

/ fluid filled tires are heavy! #18  
Maine Polack: Here's an idea that may help you "roll" those wheels a little. Find a couple of wide rollers and mounts, like those used on conveyer belts, weld one to the top of each leg of your shop crane. You could then let it down enough to rotate it a little, adjust the chain/strap and re-lift or adjust the height of the tractor /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ fluid filled tires are heavy! #19  
I use a cherry picker and a 6' strap (was a tree saver for the winch) strap is thin and just slides in any gap on the rim allowing you to lift up the whole tire, then pop the wheel on top of a little dolly made to move cars around by resting the tires on it. Very safe, you can scoot it all around the shop, spin it etc. simply adjust the tractor height with a stout floor jack, and the tire just glides into place.

/ fluid filled tires are heavy! #20  
Thanks the ideas. It just so happens that I have some of those rollers. It pays to never throw things out. Just wait till I tell my wife and say "see, I told you that I use some of that stuff".