Top Link Thread Damage

/ Top Link Thread Damage #1  

caylor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 w/513 FEL Quick Attach, Kubota RTV900
I recently used my 6' RC to mow about 2 acres of pasture. After I removed the implement and was shortening the top link, I noticed 2-3 threads flattened on the link connecting to the implement (making shortening very difficult). I applied grease and continued to shorten the top link (using much force) to "work" the threads back into shape. I was able to shorten it all the way and continued to "work" the damaged area into and out of the threads on the cylinder until it became "easier" to extend and shorten (I still takes some muscle to get the treads past the damaged area.)

All this to ask the following questions....

1) I do not recall anything flying up and hitting the top link to cause the thread damage, so what could have caused the threads to flatten?

2) Do you think any damage was done the female cylinder threads as I worked the damaged area back and forth?

/ Top Link Thread Damage #2  
Not sure how much damage was created in the female portion of the top link. You should be able to take a small triangular file and shape back up the damaged threads on the male portion though. Or use an appropriately sized tap. Maybe the top link had been hangind down and banging on something ?

Ben

/ Top Link Thread Damage #3  
Is there any way it contacted the implement? For example if you have it all the way up or down or maybe pushed over to one side or the other?

I guess a good note is that top links are sort of disposible. You can get a new one for around $15. When mine get bent up, or hard to turn and the WD40 does'nt help I just sring for a new one.

/ Top Link Thread Damage
bdog,

Good thought. It could have contacted the implement when I had it raised it for transport. I think slowrev has got a good idea too, I will try to file the offending threads to get them back into shape.

/ Top Link Thread Damage #5  
I would be suspicious of the threads coming in contact with the top link connecting pin when the loose links fold, as what happens when the rear of the cutter raises when mowing and going through a dip. If the dip is too deep, then the rear of the cutter raises more than the short loose links can 'move'.

That is a main reason I use chains, so there is no restriction as to how high the rear of the deck can raise, as I often back into a bank to mow 'up' the bank. I can't do that with the conventional short links supplied with the rotary cutter.

/ Top Link Thread Damage #6  
Don't blame yourself for the damage. You have undoubtably been visited by a troup of "thread monkeys". They slip on the farm at night and ruin the threads on all the equipment they can find. They seem to hit us at the very busiest time of the year, when we are getting ready to plant peanuts or bale hay. They are usually accompanied by another little-known but very destructive species known as "grease worms." These almost invisible creatures crawl up drive-lines, front axles, and baler shafts and suck all the grease out of the bearings, rendering the equipment unusable just a few hours after their visit.

There are no known pesticides that are effective on either species. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Top Link Thread Damage #7  
For safety purposes most top and adjustable side links have a roll pin or simular device inserted into the male threaded rod when assembled. This will insure that a link cannot be lengthened so far as to seperate and cause injury. With force a link can still be adjusted beyond it intended point. This will destroy the female threaded area. This is common and costly.