Flapper for Exhaust

/ Flapper for Exhaust #11  
I got mine at TSC.

Soundguy

/ Flapper for Exhaust
Thank you, Gentlmen!!

/ Flapper for Exhaust #13  
Why do you need those things? If it's to keep the rain out, the only time my tractor gets wet, is with my arse in the seat, heading for the barn at 8.8mph, ( according to my owner's manual) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

/ Flapper for Exhaust
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Why do you need those things? If it's to keep the rain out, the only time my tractor gets wet, is with my arse in the seat, heading for the barn at 8.8mph, ( according to my owner's manual) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. )</font>

Although the tractor is in the garage most of the time, I'll leave it outside for a few days at a time during some chores.
Currently, I'm putting a plastic cap over the stack.

Of course, I'm probably worried about nothing. After all, have you ever seen the tractor's on a dealer's lot with flappers or a cap over the vertical stacks?

/ Flapper for Exhaust #15  
Theoretically , water can enter the stack/muffler and flow down to the head and corrode/rust the exhaust valve and valve seat. Most exhaust elbows have a small drain hole at the bottom to drain any water , but it can get plugged .

/ Flapper for Exhaust #16  
A bean can, or even better, a freezer bag stashed in your toolbox should work pretty well. Of course, a tarp will keep water out of the tranny as well.

/ Flapper for Exhaust #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Currently, I'm putting a plastic cap over the stack. )</font>

You must stop doing this immediately! If the dealer finds out he may void your warranty! You are supposed to use one of those small cofee cans, or a five gallon bucket!/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

note for the humor impaired:
the preceeding post is meant as a joke, but I have seen a five gallon bucket placed over the exhaust stack of a larger tractor, flopping in the wind. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Flapper for Exhaust
"You must stop doing this immediately! If the dealer finds out he may void your warranty! You are supposed to use one of those small cofee cans, or a five gallon bucket"

Don't worry...it's a John Deere plastic cap. Came off a part I bought a while back...just happens to fit the stack.

/ Flapper for Exhaust #19  
Hey...I've been putting a can over the exhaust all my life! My tractors sit inside an open shed so no water is getting to them but it is something my father always did so I carry on the tradition.

You should see the can fly off of the old JD "B" when I forget to take it off!

/ Flapper for Exhaust #20  
My one tractor that sets without a flapper gets a 1 litre soda bottle as a muffler stack cover. I used to use a soda can.. but if would fly so far when I forgot to take it off before starting that I usually couldn't find it except by mowing... which I take it.. is the default way to find anything that you have lost in your yard right?

Soundguy