Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454

Default Re: Delivery fee, charge per mile?

If you are having to ask, does'nt sound like you are in the biz to haul.

Are you doing this a a favor? As a dealer selling, delivery can have one rate. for service, another. Do you want this work?

When I bought my KAMA from Chip out of Artrac, the delivery was for a fairly low rate, 600+mi. But, hey, I bought a new tractor.

So, the old old adage applys, if you don't want the work, price it high. If your hungry for work, price it where you can at least make something.

Patrick

Tractor
    John Deere 4440

You mentioned she was a customer, do you want to treat her right and do her a favor and possibly get more business, or is this a one time deal? If you were wanting to do her a favor I would tell her to pay gas, meals, lodging and say $150 for wear and tear on your equipment. If I was just doing it for joe blow I would charge $1000 which would include everything, lodging ,meals etc. The going transport rates of $1.75+ per mile that ocer the road guys charge are all inclusive.

Tractor
    JD 2440/4440/4020/4955

I'm not familiar with your business, or how you have your truck/trailer involved in that business. You might already know, and be prepaired for the "legal" end of hauling the tractor for your "customer".

When hauling for money, you qualify as a commercial vehicle. Got to have a CDL, Liability insurance, (If over 10,000lbs RATED GVW) you will need log book & med. card. just like any other "trucker". There are a host of issues to deal with. You aren't just the casual hauler, moving your own stuff at that point. I'd suggest contacting local D.O.T. police to get the requirements before hitting the road.

If you already have all these "bases" covered, disregard my sermon...

D.O.T. laws on commercial hauling changed last year. I had it explained to me (by Kentucky Motor Vehicle Enforcement Police) that they are cracking down on truck/trailer rigs because of all the unsafe trailers being pulled around by lawn care operators. (among others)

Another issue is chains. By law, as it was explained to me, no WHEELED VEHICLES are allowed to be secured with nylon straps. They must be CHAINED with grade 70 "binder chain", at all 4 corners. If a tractor has an implement attached, that has to have its own seperate chains. If that tractor has a loader, it must be secured as if it was seperate from the tractor itself.

If you've never been "inspected" by the D.O.T. police at roadside, you don't know what you're missing.... (On a commercial vehicle, they even have the right to require you to dismantle trailer brakes to check for brake shoe thickness... BTDT)

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 4110 w/HST

Answers to many of your questions...

I'm in the home improvement biz, not hauling. I use my own tractor and trailer(s) daily and have all the proper chains, tie-downs, weight ratings, insurances, etc. My insurance company can add her tractor to my liability policy for $75 for the trip. So, from the business end of it I'm confident that I'm set.

I don't need the work, I'd actually have to shuffle some jobs to fit this in over the next 3-4 weeks. Rather than swinging a hammer or crawling around dank fieldstone basements I thought a trip to the Jersey shore would be a nice change of pace for a couple of days - but only if it makes financial sense. She knows hauling is not my biz but prefers to deal with a 'known entity' rather than just dialing in the yellow pages. Even if I don't take this job for her she has me lined-up for several projects over the next few months, so, I'm not thinking of this as a way to 'win' future business from her.

I did some simple math before posting and came up with a number closer to $2/mile in order for this to make sense for me. I thought it was high but now seems that it's right in the ballpark. If she can find a hauling pro to do it for close to that within her time frame I'll recommend that she go in that direction rather than me dealing with it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. -Norm

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    NH TC 35 had, now a TC35DA LS25 lawnmower

One of the guys that works with me asked if he could borrow my 12K flatbed to haul a grain drill 350 miles north. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I told him the trailer always goes out with my truck and me driving. Since it's not too far from my place up there, I told him throw $150 at me and I'd do it. The answer almost floored me, I was told it was WAY too much to spend! The drill is still sitting in his yard. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

BTW, this guy collects popcans out of the garbage, never turns down overtime, and made over $100k last year. Go figure. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Well, it is too much to spend, John, if he can con some poor sucker into doing it cheaper or letting him tear up their equipment! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'm sure if he broke your trailer, he'd fix it, right? [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Tractor
    PT-422

<font color="blue">"My insurance company can add her tractor to my liability policy for $75 for the trip." </font>

I just wanted to make sure you mean that your insurance company will cover her tractor for damage. Liability means if you caused damage with her tractor, the damage would be covered. Be clear that you need coverage for damage that might happen TO her tractor, including theft and collision. The other comments about DOT requirements etc. are important, because as soon as you are hauling for hire all the rules change, more so in this case because it is interstate. You don't want to charge $500 and be on the hook for the tractor or paying $thousands to some state's DOT.

Phil

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    NH TC 35 had, now a TC35DA LS25 lawnmower

Bird; Uhuh. Further proof that it really does take all kinds!! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3010HST R4's, Scag Wildcat ZTR, 61

Takes all kinds is right. You were willing to haul it for next to nothing, especially with gas prices now days. At 15 mpg it would take you about 46 gallons of gas. Even if you could buy that for 2 bucks a gallon (for easier maths sake) you'd be spending 92 dollars in gas. That leaves a little over 50 bucks for your time and wear and tear on your equiptment.

A kind offer on your part for a coworker, but it showed you what kind of person your working with.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 4110 w/HST

I politely declined the hauling job yesterday. I informed her that the going rate was in the $1.50/$2 per mile range; she countered that she thought she would just pay for gas and a few dollars for my time. I explained the wear &amp; tear on the truck &amp; trailer, insurance costs, etc. She had no idea it might run her $500+ for the trip.

-Norm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast