The crooks broke into my shipping container

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #91  
No easy answer, carry insurance on what you can. Lock things up best you can. Mount cameras and put in gates...

How close are the neighbors to your container? Make some friends and make sure they have your number if they see something going on.

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #92  
Seems I read a thread on here a year ago about somebody with a vicious dog recording. The perp ran off, tripped in the dark and broke his leg or something. The bark was classified like a booby trap and the owner was found responsible for the medical bills.
But it was a while ago that I read that, not that the laws have changed, but I may not have the story straight.
Ya.. there was a time when states were stupid and made laws like that.. most have been repealed.

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #93  
I agree, theres nothing worse than a thief. Do a google search of "burglars suing homeowners" and you'll be sick to your stomach in about 2 minutes.

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #94  
Property rights are a joke anymore.

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #95  
Most likely an inside job.
Who on the site is always broke or suddenly had some cash to spend?

On a smaller scale that might work. This was a typical site for us - well over 100 workers representing several different trades. Workers on these sites range from very upstanding and professional people to what we shall generously refer to as "people of very questionable character". Over the years we've had guys working for other contractors lock up tools of ours that were missed at the end of day cleanup. There have been other sites that had power tools stolen while one of our guys made a quick trip to the portable toilet.

Most sea boxes are opened at start time and locked at quitting time. With workers making trips for their own material, the Roach Coach drawing crowds in the staging area and other normal comings and goings I can't imagine anyone working there wouldn't have noticed the copper.

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #96  
Hidden out of sight location is the best situation for these crooks.... As others had suggested some sort of signage would help... Such as big signs with.... Radio Controlled GPS Alarm System Installed....etc... Maybe solar charged Alarm System with flood lamps that make ALOT OF NOISE.... Thieves definitively do not like noise.... Of course mount everything up high were the thieves would need to work hard to get to it.... And certainly a picture is worth a thousand words.... Even if the pictures could identify the vehicles the bums were using would help.... And lastly.... I would discourage installing anything that could potentially cause physical harm to anyone... Several years ago a crook sued a local logger in this area when He the crook got hurt while attempting to steal the logger's loader.... The logger was found culpable in the case and had to pay the crook a settlement for pain and suffering.... GO Figure.... Weigh the cost of replacing the equipment inside the container to that of some sort of security system.... Good Luck

West1

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #97  
It is hard to keep crooks in prison with iron bars, guards and almost no access to tools. You have little hope on the outside. You just have to make yours harder to get into than the guy next door.

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #98  
Well, I've got the container on the property and the tractor inside. I padlocked all 4 of the handles and the lockbox has a pinlock on it. There's no way to get in aside from a cutting torch or cutoff wheel. The container is visible from the road, but I think that's better than hidden where they could work without being seen.

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #99  
And lastly.... I would discourage installing anything that could potentially cause physical harm to anyone... Several years ago a crook sued a local logger in this area when He the crook got hurt while attempting to steal the logger's loader.... The logger was found culpable in the case and had to pay the crook a settlement for pain and suffering.... GO Figure.... Weigh the cost of replacing the equipment inside the container to that of some sort of security system.... Good Luck

West1

^ That stinks! I sure hope the laws are changed in that state. My opinion is that the owner of property shouldn't be responsible for protecting people in the act of robbing them!

Well, I've got the container on the property and the tractor inside. I padlocked all 4 of the handles and the lockbox has a pinlock on it. There's no way to get in aside from a cutting torch or cutoff wheel. The container is visible from the road, but I think that's better than hidden where they could work without being seen.

Tough call on where to have it... in sight or out of sight. My opinion would be out of sight from the road. Crooks are curious critters and want to find out what is so valuable it has to be kept behind a lock. But they are less curious about things they can't see. I do think IR game cameras are good for prosecuting crooks no matter where the container is located. I've nailed trespassers and poachers with them. $300 per person was the fine if memory serves. Nice clear image of the truck's plates helped nail them.

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #100  
Hey... There you go... A picture is worth a thousand words...!!!