The crooks broke into my shipping container

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #11  
you could post the guy's picture all over town with the caption of do you know who this guy is? Would be funny if he was a local.

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #12  
I'll bet that first break in with nothing missing was just the 'fishing' trip. When they com back I bet they bring a heavy low boy trailer /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Good luck

Soundguy

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container
Gee thanks....

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to start up a 1972 diesel dozer without a key. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Maybe I should run the dozer way out in the woods someplace and stash it for the next month or so.

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #14  
Although this probably isn't what you wanted to hear Soundguy is probably right. Never underestimate the stupidity of criminals or their intent to steal everything that isn't locked down. I live in Massachusetts which is one of those states where if you even mention guns everybody goes into a tizzy so carrying around concealed weapons is a big no no. I learned however a long time ago however that pain is a good teacher and I have a few friends who have applied that theory to practice.

Years ago a friend of mine from high school was at one of the larger local malls - as he was coming out with his girlfriend in tow he noticed an individual leaning in thru the broken drivers side window of his brand new Ford Mustang. You have to remember that this was like one or two years out of high school so the car represented a large part of my friends earned cash as well as big source of pride. The individual in question was in the process of trying to rip the radio out of the dashboard with a crowbar. Well this was the wrong thing to do - the guy was obviously not paying attention because my friend came up behind him - grabbed him around the neck and drove his head so hard into the front fender of the car that he left a dent the size of basketball and a few inches deep in the fender. He then dropped him on the ground and stomped him pretty good to boot and then drove off and left him there.

Now I know this is not the nicest story and everything could have turned out a lot worse but I have always remembered this as a simple lesson. That person who was stealing the radio will in all likelihood always remember that day and at the very least the next time he goes to steal something he will be a lot more careful about it. No taxpayers dollars were wasted, a lesson was in all likelihood learned by the wanna be thief, and my friend got at least some satisfaction out of the whole thing. He didn't even complain that much about having to pay to get the damage to the fender repaired. I doubt it would have all turned out so well if the authorities had been involved.

If you really want this to stop you have to fight fire with fire - find out who they are somehow - lay a trap with something good to steal - use one of the deer cameras and a decoy camera that is easy to find so when they see the flash they take the wrong camera, post their mugs around town, show up at their house when you find out who they are. Screw them over in any possible way that you can. Criminals are criminals because they think they can get away with it - when the price gets too high they will stop.

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #15  
The sick irony is that these crooks are possibly reading everything here, just as fast as we're writing.

For that reason, even though I know that law wouldn't be on your side, I'd recommend booty trapping with buck shot instead of or as well as cameras....or better yet, high explosives [and if you label it right, the law may even be on your side!]....it might damage your toys some [is that possible for the 'ol crawler!? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif], but you'd do the world a favor! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #16  
Highbeam, this is just an idea you may or may not consider.

I buy feed by the ton, in bags a couple of times a year for weaning calves. We have lots of critters that like that feed. Mainly coons and opossums. I sometimes store my feed in my cattle trailer. They sometimes find it too. I have High Tensile fence with chargers running 6,000 volts to 12,000 volts. I run a small wire from the fence and attach it to the cattle trailer. They won't touch it but once trying to get the feed then.

I have a friend that has a container somewhat like yours. It's on a farm 12 miles from his home. I told him about the electrified trailer and he did the same on his container. He has the container on wood block and it's not grounded to earth. He bought a solar fence charger. Installed it about 200' from the container out of sight but in the sun. Ran the HT insulated wire under ground and came up through the floor of the container. Then made a connection to any metal that has contact to the rest of the container. That was two years ago and hasn't had anyone try and break in again. The electric shock won't kill you but it sure does hurt and will make you hurt yourself trying to get away from it. I think the charger he used was 2 joule. Larger would be even better.

It's just an idea and may be more than you want to spend but it sure turns critters and thieves. It can be grounded but low impedance chargers still give a pretty good jolt even when they're grounded.

I just read last week about a JD tractor being stolen from a logging outfit in the south end of our county. It was 70-80 HP range with a loader.

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Criminals are criminals because they think they can get away with it - when the price gets too high they will stop.
)</font>

or ...they find easier prey.

Charolais thats a darn good idea to use solar power to make it a shocking experience for them.

It would get expensive but a camera to see how they react to the shock would be cool too.

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #18  
That is true - they may go find easier prey but at least they won't be stealing your stuff. Another thing with criminals is that they are lazy - if they felt like working for a living they wouldn't be out there trying to steal your stuff. The electrified container is an excellent idea.

I saw something a few years back that I thought was an excellent theft deterrent device - I guess South Africa has a huge carjacking problem - well somebody rigged up a flamethrower device that goes under your car and neatly toasts anybody who tries to approach the doors of the car. With the proper sensors around your container you could rig one of these up to automatically go off when somebody tried breaking the locks off again :)

BMW flamethrower car

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #19  
<font color="blue"> I use it to park my bulldozer inside and store fuel, rigging, and floodlights. </font>

Insure the items in the container with replacement cost coverage+, put 1 lock on the door and forget about it. Life is a lot simplier that way. -Ken Sweet

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *Over 40 uesd Cultipacker in Stock today*

/ The crooks broke into my shipping container #20  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'd recommend booty trapping )</font>

Man, you play dirty, last time I got hooked up in a booty trap I ended up married with two kids!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif