Stump Removal vs Stump Grinding

/ Stump Removal vs Stump Grinding #1  

BoneheadNW

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610
I have a double stump from a Grand Fir tree in the middle of my lawn (see photo). Each stump is approx 2 feet in diameter. I would like to remove this eyesore with my BH, but I dont want to rip a huge hole in my lawn. I think that I would have to dig a large hole to get this baby out. One option would be to either rent a stump grinder or get someone to grind it a few inches below the surface and try to grow grass over it. Has anyone else compared these options?

Thanks,

Bonehead

Attachments

• 672084-DSCN7202v2.jpg
    672084-DSCN7202v2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1,800
   / Stump Removal vs Stump Grinding
Here is another view.

Attachments

• 672085-DSCN7203v2.jpg
    672085-DSCN7203v2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,040
   / Stump Removal vs Stump Grinding #3  
I had a stump ground down behind my house a couple years ago. It was done professionally but they grinded it about 3 or 4 inches below grade. I then put some good top soil over it and put a couple patches of sod down and walla. To this day you can't tell the tree was ever there.

/ Stump Removal vs Stump Grinding #4  
Well the stump removal thing might be the easiest. But, are you going to let the stump win??? I'd get the tractor out and dig until shes gone! Hole = swimming pool! Or you could just fill the hole and plant grass. The cost of diesel will be much less than hiring someone. I'd dig it out!

/ Stump Removal vs Stump Grinding #5  
I've always got the same dilemma. I'd grind that one. If you know you can rent a good machine, you could do that. Most of them I've rented where such bad need of sharpening or new carbide teeth that it wasn't worth renting it.

/ Stump Removal vs Stump Grinding #6  
I live in a house that was built in 1917. Had a Hickory tree between the house and highway. 3'9" across the stump. I did the same with a stump grinder. Money well spent too. Had to use a lot of lime for several years but it's growing grass now. Can't tell the tree was there.

Hey that hickory stump was tough on that stump grinder too. Took the guy the better part of an hour to get it down. Saw smoke rolling up several times. I paid by the job. Had two more maples to grind down also. They were easy.

Grinding is faster and for big trees it's cheaper too. Those tap roots don't come up easy. jmho.

/ Stump Removal vs Stump Grinding #7  
either way you are going to have hole in your yard, removal or grinding. if it was me and i had a BH i would pick at it and remove it, gives you some seat time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Stump Removal vs Stump Grinding #8  
I would grind it; you'll do a lot less damage to your lawn. Just maneuvering the tractor all around those stumps will tear up your soft, western WA lawn this time of year, not to mention the larger hole you'll end up making.

/ Stump Removal vs Stump Grinding #9  
If you grind it, cover it with sod, and get it nice and level, there will appear a hole in a few years when the rest of the stump rots and decays. But that will just mean adding more dirt and sod when that time comes.
I have a white pine stump that has been there for 10 years now, and I am hoping I can finish picking it apart with my FEL forks this summer. It almost came out last year, but the center is still standing. The heartwood lasts a bit longer than the sapwood.

/ Stump Removal vs Stump Grinding #10  
Bone, check this out. It's a red oak. The bucket is 18", rather than put a number on the stump it's size can be gauged by the bucket. The hole is about 10' across. The oaks have no tap root, I suspect the Firs do.
This bad boy took 4 hours start to finish today (saturday). I have a 3130 & BH90 and I work it fairly hard. I'm afraid your machine will take 12 hours to get it loose and then you will need a crane to get it out of the hole. A machine large enough to pop that Fir and slide it up a ramp out of the hole will leave a few ruts in your fairway, so to speak. I recommend grinding (hiring out) and putting up with the eventual depression resulting from decay. I took this out because it's remains would be under a slab otherwise.
Best of luck,
Martin

Attachments

• 672213-brokenlose22.jpg
    672213-brokenlose22.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,050