Tires Unloading Tires

/ Unloading Tires #1  

snmhanson

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Well, my B7800 has been a great asset in doing all of our landscaping and while it has a loooong way to go until retirement it is seeing less heavy work these days. Now it is being used to mow the lawn at least once a week and regrade the gravel drive once a month. I still do some material moving including some pretty large rocks and some box blading on occassion but not what I have in the past. What I am wondering is whether I will notice a big difference in those heavier jobs if I "unload" the tires (I would still use the box blade as ballast of course). I am thinking it would make a much better mower if I could get that extra 500 or so lbs. out of the rear tires and be a bit gentler on the lawn. What do you guys think? Am I going to gain much by draining the tires for mowing and on the flip side am I going to lose much when it comes to loader and box blade work (and snow plowing)? Thanks for any advice.

Matt

/ Unloading Tires #2  
Because the B7800 is so light, I would worry about the loss of traction that would result from reducing the weight, and damage that might result from spinning tires. I don't see mine marking the ground except when I lose traction. However, I only rarely run on lawn.

/ Unloading Tires #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Well, my B7800 has been a great asset in doing all of our landscaping and while it has a loooong way to go until retirement it is seeing less heavy work these days. Now it is being used to mow the lawn at least once a week and regrade the gravel drive once a month. I still do some material moving including some pretty large rocks and some box blading on occassion but not what I have in the past. What I am wondering is whether I will notice a big difference in those heavier jobs if I "unload" the tires (I would still use the box blade as ballast of course). I am thinking it would make a much better mower if I could get that extra 500 or so lbs. out of the rear tires and be a bit gentler on the lawn. What do you guys think? Am I going to gain much by draining the tires for mowing and on the flip side am I going to lose much when it comes to loader and box blade work (and snow plowing)? Thanks for any advice.

Matt )</font>

IMHO Matt, I would not unload the tires. However that is a personal preference. It will make a difference in Loader, Box Blade and sno plowing. Think about it like this... with the 500 lbs +/- you will have less traction. Less traction will not allow the full power of your tractor to work.

I tried my tractor (Shibaura 2200 4X4 without loading tires with my loader, plowing and such. Then someone here enlightened me to loading tires. I loaded them and it felt I had a much bigger tractor with much more power, and I am very pleased with my selection now.

I have heard of people having two sets of tires... one set loaded for heavy work and a set for mowing. That might be an option for you.

Jim

bsm357@aol.com

/ Unloading Tires #5  
What kind of tires are on your Kubota? Have you experienced marking on your lawn (other then the grass being flattened by the tires)?

I run a Deere 790 (with Industrial type tires) which is pretty close to your B7800 as far as power and weight. My rear tires are filled. I have experienced little damage to the lawn other then scuffing from the front tires if I'm using the front assist (4WD). Now, I'm not looking for a beautiful lawn...just green. FYI, I do not operate the tractor on the lawn if it is wet and I only use 4WD when I'm backing down and driving up a steeper slope.

My opinion is to leave the tires filled. There are advantages of more stability and traction. There is also advantages when you are doing loader work.

I do not see any disadvantages, unless your lawn is to be as well maintained as a golf course.