Tilt testing, it goes a long way!

/ Tilt testing, it goes a long way! #1  

Mith

Veteran Member
Not sure if I should post this. But....
Just playing around saw a stack of pallets, drove up it. Thought it might be worth seeing how far it goes. These pics are of the furthest I could take it. Front to back I ran out of room as the linkage wouldnt go up any further. It had loads left, still couldnt lift the front. Side to side it was sarting to fall over. Bit light on the top side.
Anyway, I was very impressed (although I hope I never have to mow on slopes like that, let alone drive on them.)
Now safety wise, the brush cage can take the fall if it happens, but its a pretty small tractor and I could lift it back upright if needed.

It should be far better what I get some duals on it. So what you guys do on rainy days?

Last edited:
   / Tilt testing, it goes a long way! #2  
Interesting, but remember that when your in the seat the CG is higher.

/ Tilt testing, it goes a long way! #3  
Mith, interesting test you did there for static rollover. The dynamics of movement, tire slippage, ruts and bumps would have to be taken into account for a real world rollover.

Perhaps if you have a younger brother you could strap him into the seat, plop a helmet on his head, and have him give it a try while moving across a hillside /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Tilt testing, it goes a long way! #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Perhaps if you have a younger brother you could strap him into the seat )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, but don't forget to tie a rope to the tractor and stand uphill.
/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Tilt testing, it goes a long way! #5  
You sure seem to have a lot of fun with your machinery /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
That is a good static test. You may be surprised at how good it would do on a dynamic test. Case in point: I have a 1992 MTD 16HP 42" cut rider ... looks kinda like your machine. I have several sloped areas that I have routinely mowed (weeds) with between 2:1 and 1:1(45°) slopes ... sometimes foot tall weeds, hidden rocks, mounds, holes, etc. I just ride with my butt hanging off the high side of the seat as a counter weight. Perfectly stable and gives a nice appearing cut. The only down side is it's awfully easy to spill your beer on those slopes even with a gimble mount Bar-Bouy /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Tilt testing, it goes a long way!
Jerry, I sat on it to get it up there, I stopped before it fell, admittadly I was kinda lenaing into it a bit, OK alot. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Bob, yea, didnt think about bumps ect, but I guess I could go up and down. maybe Ill have to be talikng nicely to some friends, Im sure someone would be stupid enough to do it, volenteers?

Homebrew, darn right I do, dont you?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( MTD...looks kinda like your machine )</font> /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif this is a Wheelhorse Ill have you know. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Yea I got a couple of them MTDs too, theyre not pressure lube though, that could be cool too though! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Ive always wanted to learn to drive one on 2 wheels, could be a showpiece you know.
Tell you, if theres one thing that tractor missing are, is a beer holder. Guess ill have to use the old 5 fingered holder for now.
Tell you what, you must slide off the seat going on that kinda angle /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I feel outdone, gunna have to beat 45 dgrees tomorrow now, loook what youve done now.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, just so you know, I havent actually rolled it yet, well unless you count the tree incedent but it didnt go all the way, I do have an element of sense, surprisingly!

/ Tilt testing, it goes a long way! #7  
Very interest test. In this test the down tire is on flat(level) ground, what would happen if the the down tire was on a slope?

/ Tilt testing, it goes a long way!
I quote myself </font><font color="blue" class="small">( I havent actually rolled it yet )</font>
Whoops a daisy. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Went a tad too far, clearl im not heavy enough to lean out and keep it up. As a result though it went over soft so no harm. Drove it home no worries.

Frank, I have thought if it would be different if it were on a sloping surface rather than just having one side propped up. Seems the tyres would have more surfce are on the ground. maybe ill have to find a more realistic way of doing it.

PS, ive cut the brush cage off now, its getting widened then doors fitted and front and rear panels, full cab! I hate rain! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifGive it a week or so.

Last edited:
   / Tilt testing, it goes a long way! #9  
Wheelhorse it is then ... I do admit not knowing much of anything /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Seems like you'd be perfectly within your rights to blame me for your rollover by egging you on ... To which I'd have to reply that, I owe you a beer.
I agree with the horizontal surfaces contributing to the roll.
Forgot to mention before: nice job on the cage. Anxious to see the full cab.
Cheers!