Quick few questions for those with hoists, please.

/ Quick few questions for those with hoists, please. #1  

Mith

Veteran Member
Needing help with paper work for a Tech course. Quick questionnaire supposedly to find out if there is a need for the product that I hope to design and make. Have to set questions for potential users, sounds like you guys!
Please if you have a hoist, or engine crane or whatever, take the few secs to help me.
Here goes:
1. Do you feel the need for a device to make lifting wide objects easier with a hoist?
2. Do you have problems with imbalanced loads when lifting with a hoist?
3. Do you think that by levelling an imbalanced load it would be safer to lift?
4. Would you be interested in a product that made lifting difficult loads easier and safer?
5. Are you a, home user, small buisness, .............?

Thanks for your time, very much appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Quick few questions for those with hoists, please. #2  
1. Do you feel the need for a device to make lifting wide objects easier with a hoist?

Yes! making a sling to lift engines and equipment can be time consuming and not very relaible or safe.

2. Do you have problems with imbalanced loads when lifting with a hoist?

Often I can get pretty close to a balanced load with chain and grab hooks, but a device that could "dial in" the CG would be much better, especially when we move our pipe pusher. That needs to be set very carefully and need to be dead level when in a hole.

3. Do you think that by levelling an imbalanced load it would be safer to lift?

Without a doubt.

4. Would you be interested in a product that made lifting difficult loads easier and safer?

Yes I would. I imagine a four post design that allows a central hook to be adjusted laterally, in the opposite plane of the lifting chain or cable.

5. Are you a, home user, small buisness, .............?

Both. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Quick few questions for those with hoists, please.
Thanks man, I owe you a beer. Very useful answers.

If a couple more people could answer too I'd be sorted.

Many thanks for your help! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

come on, there gotta be more poeple with hoists engine cranes or whatever, or even those without but with opinions!
Even if you say no to everything it dont mater (better if you say yes though /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)
thanks, dont wanna have to go somewhere else to ask. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
cheers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Quick few questions for those with hoists, please. #5  
Hi Mith,

When I bought my engine hoist from TSC (Tractor Supply Co.) it came with a load leveler. It is a screw drive, hand cranked rinktum that changes the center of gravity to shift the load to a different angle. It is placed between the engine hoist and the load, and is useful for tilting the engine to put the transmission down so it is easier to slide the assembly into the engine bay of the vehicle.

If you are serious about making this, there are plenty already on the market, but if this is just a homework assignment, then please disregard this post, and I'll plead guilty to mis-reading your intentions. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

By the way, I use mine to help me flip my MMM deck over to clean underneath, and also to remove/re-install my blades.

Cheers /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

yea thats what Im planning to make, it dont matter that they alredy exist, the idea is to make my one better, thats the design bit of the course.
Im mainly making it because I need one and gotta make one anyway, makes sense to do it in time that would be taken up anyway. Yea I know theyre only £20 or so but I have better things to do with that money.
Either way, thanks.

/ Quick few questions for those with hoists, please. #7  
A good or better load leveller would use Acme thread and have thrust bearings on the ends of the screw as well as a zerk on the threaded nut/lift point.

/ Quick few questions for those with hoists, please. #8  
Now I get the picture. Sounds like a fun project. Good Luck, and post some pictures when you get finished. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Quick few questions for those with hoists, please. #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A good or better load leveller would use Acme thread and have thrust bearings on the ends of the screw as well as a zerk on the threaded nut/lift point. )</font>

Right, most of the cheapo ones use all-thread rods and flat washers, this would be a significant improvement, but add considerably to the cost.........wonder if using an Acme thread and bearings would allow it to move under load?

I plan to have the main carrier on top from which the beam hangs on bearings. It will be square threaded bar and will be free floating so you should be able to move it when inder load.
Thanks for the reminder about zerks, hadnt thought of that.
I should expect any more advanced threads, helical bearing, should be very expensive, but maybe something to think about.
Keep these ideas coming please, very useful. thanks