How long should a dry clutch last?

/ How long should a dry clutch last? #1  

LittleBear

Bronze Member
Okay, no loader work, just normal mowing and a little brush-hogging. What would be the typical life of a dry clutch? 500, 1,000, 1,500 hours or what?

/ How long should a dry clutch last? #2  
We have our older tractor for about 7000 hrs.
PTO clutch plate is still original, and drive plate was replaced due to broken clutch pins, at about 5000 hrs. It is worned about 2 mm, so it will last a double # of hours at our way of tractor usage.
No FEL, just ordinary ag work as mowing, plowing, disking, planting ... and lot of road transport use.
Dry clutch life is highly influented by the operator's habbits, and proper maintenance (check free play of pedal).

/ How long should a dry clutch last? #3  
VERY dependent on owner's use. Loaned a friend one of my Fiats while overseas. Came back. It was in garage with shot clutch.

Sold original 1973 Benz with original clutch at 195k miles. Now have original clutch in our 1983 with near 190k miles on it.

If you slip the clutch a lot, look for it to fail sooner. Should just feather it and release.

Ralph

/ How long should a dry clutch last? #4  
You just want to easy step off a clutch. if you've a dual stage, it takes a bit of practice. Short learning curve tho...

Now, I do prefer a gear transmission...but if you have multiple operators...especially if they're employees, go for the hydro tranny.

/ How long should a dry clutch last? #5  
As operator sensitive as clutches are, they are also design and application sensitive. Certain tractor models and even brands have somewhat predictable variations in clutch life. The bad news is, when these reputations are formed, the tractor is several years old.

/ How long should a dry clutch last? #6  
Not a stupid question......... but a **** good one that has been asked many times since the birth of the clutch. Many factors play a big part in how long it will last.

How long should Brake Shoes last??.....a lot of factors to look at there also......??

If the quality of the clutch is have way decent, no oil gets on the clutch disc lining, no pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bearing [bushing], bearing fork etc.???.... it can last for several hundread hours or days..... depending on how you are keeping of with the time it last.

My experiance has seem to be operator error and improper clutch adjustment that kills them early.

Sooooooo many people dont realize just the weight of there foot on the clutch......not pushing it, but just the foot weight shortens the life.

Ronald

/ How long should a dry clutch last? #7  
Amen. The clutch is an expensive foot rest.

/ How long should a dry clutch last? #8  
I have antiques that are 40-50-60 years old. I'm quite sure on the oem clutch. my oldest.. the 46.. is just about ready for a clutch.. it's at the end of adjustment and beginning to drag.. may need PP too.

I figure it's about time for it... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Soundguy

/ How long should a dry clutch last? #9  
As others have said/implied the life of a clutch is mostly dependant on the operator. I have a clutch in my soobie that has almost 200k on it, other soobie owners I know had to change theirs at 70k or so. Tractor clutches are the same way, abuse them and they won't last long, treat them kindly and they will last a long time.
Ben

/ How long should a dry clutch last? #10  
I have a neighbor whose father liked to rest his left foot on the clutch pedal of their plow tractor. They replaced two clutches in one season before discovering what the problem was. I have a 1954 AC WD45 with the original clutch. It has 1000's and 1000's of hours on it.

So it depends on how you treat it.

OrangeGuy