Compact buyers beware...PTO advice!

/ Compact buyers beware...PTO advice! #1  

gamble77

Veteran Member
Just something we ran acrross last week and we have had to deal with this week that I thought I might bring to everyones attention.

When you buy a compact tractor (doesn't apply as much to utility tractors) be sure your dealer checks the PTO shaft size and make sure that its sized right for your tractor. We have always cut the shafts on our bushhogs for the smaller tractors.

Had a customer that bought a unit from a neighbor dealer, has had it for four years, and their dealer didn't cut the shaft to fit. What happens (or happened in his case) is that when you cut on unlevel ground and the nose of the machine goes up, the rear goes down, and the mower is up it compresses the PTO shaft. Unfortunate in this case the guys whole rear end basically has to be replaced because of the damage, we quoted him $3000 to fix everything...he is not a happy camper.

So todays free service tip is to check your drive shaft and cut that darn thing if its too long...just remember to cut off even amounts from each side.

/ Compact buyers beware...PTO advice! #2  
How do you determine what the correct length is?

/ Compact buyers beware...PTO advice! #3  
Very good tip.
Also invest in slip clutches and ovwerrun clutch on rotary cutters. The overrun clutch takes the strain off of your PTO brake if you have one and off of your PTO drive if you just downthrottle suddenly. Those cutters take a while to spin down.
Ben

/ Compact buyers beware...PTO advice! #4  
I cut my shafts 6 inches shorter than it should ever be compressed, ie with rotary cutter, etc all the way up. Might not be right, but has worked for me.
Ben

/ Compact buyers beware...PTO advice! #5  
I pretty much figure checking pto shaft length is right up there with checking oil/oil pressure. When you run your lift up, you need to know that it won't bottom out.

Soundguy