Bush Hogging Rates

/ Bush Hogging Rates #31  
I have a JD 3032E 4x4 with front end loader and just getting my buisiness off the ground. I plan on doing a variety of services such as bush hogging, disking, seed/fertilizer spreading and light front end loader work for property clean up. My tractor pulls a 5' bush hogg great and 5' disk. I was thinking of charging $30.00 and acre or $50 an hour. Whats your opinion?

I think you are right in the ballpark. That is almost exactly what I charge. You got to watch transport. I charge $2 per mile.

/ Bush Hogging Rates #32  
new member . looking forward to be part of the forums

/ Bush Hogging Rates #33  
Bush hogging rates here in our area vary a lot. It depends on the site and how dense the under growth is. The rate is usually 35.00 to 50.00 an hour.

/ Bush Hogging Rates #35  
:welcome: to TBN. You will like being here :thumbsup:

Around here it's around $60.00 to $75.00 per hour with a 6' foot bush hog. People often don't call until it is way over the machine and has not been mowed in years. You can mow as little as .5 acres an hour for the bad stuff and about 1.5 acres at most per hour for the easy stuff. It's a tough way honestly to make money especially after the bottom fell out of the economy. Also the neighbor down the street will do the job for a case of beer with an old machine he cares less about tearing up or ever replacing. Most people anymore just don't want to pay hardly anything at all for this type of work and wont invest in a tractor and rotary cutter of there own. The risk are endless too of things in the tall grass and holes you could break an axle in. Size of the tractor,rotary cutter,height,obstacles, age and cost of machinery, and fuel usage per hours must be figured in. Don't forget hauling the machine back and forth. Even if you can drive the tractor to the job the tires don't last near as long on black top and are super expensive to replace especially the back ones. I just don't see how anyone can make money at $30.00 per hour or $30.00 per acre. My machines can burn two to three gallons per hour alone.

/ Bush Hogging Rates #36  
Not in business to do tractor work for hire but we all know if you have tractors, all your friends and neighbors will want to borrow or have you do jobs for them. If it's a close enough friend, buy my fuel and hand me a beer. Very little of that though. I don't loan tractors to anyone. If it gets torn up, I want to do it.

So then the other guys that are neighbors but not close friends I tell 25.00 hr, the good ol boy rate. So far nobody has called back and said come on, I got money. Without that small fee I could keep my tractor busy. With it, it rests a lot and isn't worn out or torn up when I need it.

I'm glad to see this topic discussed. I see my good ol boy rate is very cheap and really is just that and if someone does approach me seriously, I know what the going rate is.

/ Bush Hogging Rates #37  
I always charge a flat rate, I look at every job and price it out. I usually end up $60-$80 per hour plus travel time of one hour one way figured in I have been pricing pretty successful for quite a while, it pays to be as realistic as possible and keep track of each job when complete. I figure ground speed and width of cut and efficiency factor on larger jobs.
John

/ Bush Hogging Rates #38  
I have a JD 3032E 4x4 with front end loader and just getting my buisiness off the ground. I plan on doing a variety of services such as bush hogging, disking, seed/fertilizer spreading and light front end loader work for property clean up. My tractor pulls a 5' bush hogg great and 5' disk. I was thinking of charging $30.00 and acre or $50 an hour. Whats your opinion?

So if I call and get you to come bush hog my 1 acre field your only going to charge me $30.00 ? That sounds like a pretty good deal for me. Seriously I see alot of really cheap prices here. I dont understand how your gonna pay for tractor, truck, trailer, implements, insurance on all these, fuel, wear and tear. Did you drive out first to get an estimate on the job? That also cost you money and time. If you had an employee doing the work how would you pay him out of that $30.00 . If your doing this just for some fun seat time I can understand the low prices but you are sure not going to make any money at these prices. Just some humble thoughts from somebody who has done this for a while.

/ Bush Hogging Rates #39  
It is all fun doing things for nothing. How many friends will offer to pay for the rear tire you just cut down. I charge alittle so that I can cover these mishaps

/ Bush Hogging Rates #40  
I have found that people want to know the total cost rather than by the hour plus you have to cover cost on small jobs and by the hour does not work well in that instance. I will not do a job if it is to small and it will not cover cost plus profit. I will give them my minimum cost on small jobs and I figure total travel and fuel cost in the bid. You cannot afford to cut yourself short, it is better to turn it down than loose money.
John