Rough Ground

/ Rough Ground #1  

djg

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota B6200HST-D
Okay, I got my 15HP 20 year old Kubota tractor, changed all the fluids, got a voltage regulator, and it runs great. I got my 4ft Bush hog "squealer" rough mower (used), sharpened the blades and attacked the weeds and tall grass on the back 2 acres of my lot. The field that looked so smooth under 3ft of grass is very rough, with big anthills, never saw so many ants. My wish is to plant prairie type grasses and flowers in this area, I am not looking to put in more lawn. This will require annual mowing. With this in mind, can anyone suggest a cost effective way to smooth out this area with the tractor I have? I have read the chain link fence and bedspring posts. If I go this route, do I need to kill the grass or what? Should I kill the ants or leave them alone? I just want it smooth enough to bush hog without scalping, and be able to drive the tractor without getting seasick. Any advice is appreciated.

/ Rough Ground #3  
You'll have to loosen the ground before you run your smoother bedsprings over it. Plows are cheaper than discs, /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Rough Ground #5  
You can wish it smooth or cultivate it smooth! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

egon

/ Rough Ground #6  
<font color="blue">"Should I kill the ants or leave them alone?"
</font>

Well if it were me I'd leave the ants alone and get the uncles. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You had to know that was coming!

/ Rough Ground #7  
If I were doing this I would disc it and then drag it.
Leo

/ Rough Ground #8  
Nothing really, it's just a great photo. Been my wallpaper for years. It's much more appreciated in actual photo size!

/ Rough Ground #9  
I've used a drag made from residential grade chain link fence. The chain link kind of stretched and deformed. I upgraded to to a much heavier piece of commercial grade chain link fence mounted to an old gate frame. I load it up with 260 pounds of I beam, it levels pretty good and has held it's shape. Your milaege may vary...

Don

/ Rough Ground #10  
Greg, any chance I might be able to aquire the full size image of that mushroom? I think youre right about a cool desktop background /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Thanks