Bush Hogging question.

/ Bush Hogging question. #1  

penokee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ferguson TO-20 (sold to son-in-law), AC - H3 Crawler, L3130HST, (AC-WD w/Attachments - SOLD), 1984 Honda Big Red, Honda Foreman 4x4 w/plow
When you Bush Hog, do you leave your FEL on, remove it or just remove the bucket and reasons for your approach?

penokee (on a 92d day in the UP) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Bush Hogging question. #2  
I leave my on. mostly because if I don't I cannot steer...its all wheelies for me.

/ Bush Hogging question. #3  
I normally have the loader and bucker installed.
This is to counterbalance the weight of the cutter (I don't have front weights) and, if I let the field go too long, the bucket is set low enough to find any stumps or bigger rocks.

/ Bush Hogging question. #4  
I leave my on because I/m always needing to do something in the field with the FEL. Of course the FEL weight helps also! I use the FEL a lot!
Leo

/ Bush Hogging question. #5  
Depends on what I'm bush hogging. If it's someplace I don't regularly mow - unknown territory in other words - like the others say, the FEL can be a good way to catch hidden obstacles before you run over them.

But, if it's my pasture that gets mowed once a month, I like to take the FEL off. Less wear on the front end, better maneuvering, less soil compaction, etc. The tractor is heavy enough that the front end never gets light when the mower is on.

/ Bush Hogging question. #6  
I remove the bucket. It gives me a better view of what is going to be cut. I have a quick coupler that makes it easy to remove bucket. I cannot remove the FEL frame because it is needed to counter weight the rotary cutter.