dumb ??? of the day

/ dumb ??? of the day #1  

wksinatl

Bronze Member
Tractor
case IH 485
Why is it that the diesel tractors have the vertical muffler and the gas tractors are horizontal underneath?

thanks,
Keith

/ dumb ??? of the day #2  
Usually they will fit either way....personal preferance.

/ dumb ??? of the day #3  
Hmmm. . . I have 2 modern diesels and both have horizontal mufflers.

I don't think there is any real answer to the question. And I don't think there is any correlation between type of fuel and type of exhaust design. I think the main reason is to make sure the fumes do not hit the operator any more than they need to. So some tractors use a vertical stack to put the exhaust OVER the operator while other tractors use a horizontal exhaust to get it UNDER the operator. Another factor, tractors used in tall crops (like corn) typically have vertical exhausts or somewhat shelterd exhausts, that is probably so the exhaust does not start a fire. That is not much issue for most small diesel tractors, and most of those have horizontal exhausts.

/ dumb ??? of the day #4  
That is a misconception. Quite a few dsl have underslung exhaust. Especially orchard variations.

/ dumb ??? of the day #5  
My brother has a 485 Case/IH diesel with underslung exhaust. It's loud and I wear ear protection when using it.

/ dumb ??? of the day #6  
Most of the gas and diesel tractors around here have vertical exhausts.
Ben

/ dumb ??? of the day
My Case 485 has a vertical pipe. I have seen so many diesels with verticals and so many gas tractors with underslung I just ASSumed that was pretty much the norm for each.

OK, dumb question answered!

thanks guys,
Keith

/ dumb ??? of the day #8  
Back in the 60's and 70's most smaller diesel tractors had the horizontal exhaust. That's in my area. We were just getting away from mules and the small Ford gas tractors. Most sheds were built about 8' tall. If you had a vertical exhaust you most times had to build a new shed to get the tractor under because the old sheds weren't tall enough. I remember my Dad buying a 135 MF and asked for the horizontal exhaust for that reason.

Those older tractors were set up to burn more fuel for all the power you could get out of them. They smoked and smoked a lot under a load. If you had to hook a 3 pt. implement you'd have to shut the engine off or get blasted with lots of diesel fumes. Just about choke you to death. Gas engines won't burn your eyes like diesel smoke will.

As the tractors got bigger the sheds got taller for the vertical exhaust. I was sure happy when we got a 150MF in 73 with a vertical exhaust. I could leave the engine running and use the lift to hook up implements without getting all that smoke in my lungs and eyes. And we did build a taller shed for that tractor. Since then I've had to build them even taller for the tractors I have now. I rather build a new shed than have to deal with the horizontal exhaust.

Oh and I've seen a few wheat fields catch fire here because of those horizontal exhaust. It can happen with either but more likely with the horizontal. I've seen tractor , combine and wheat field all burn from a few sparks or a real hot pipe.

/ dumb ??? of the day #9  
My diesel 4010 is underneath. Wouldn't want it spewing fumes into the air right back into my face. Had to put up with this silly position driving tractors when I grew up. Rain goes down the exhaust when they're straight up, too. Stupid place for them to discharge, except that it's cheap for them to make them that way.

Ralph

/ dumb ??? of the day #10  
my diesel exhaust , is lower front(left side) i don;t care where it is , if the conditions are right you are going to get back in your face.