Trailer-anybody seen one, and whats it worth?

/ Trailer-anybody seen one, and whats it worth? #1  

IMCA38

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1225 w/loader, Case 1840 SS, Ransomes 723D mower
The city and county are having a surplus equipment auction this weekend. They have five of these trailers listed for sale. The description calls them a 1989 Olathe 902 or 903 21' turf trailer. I can't find any info on the web about Olathe trailers. As you can see, these are a deck-over style, apparently about 21' long and I would guess at least 8' wide. The city used these to haul big Ransomes and Toro front deck mowers to various places around the city. If I remember right, they can put 2 of those big units on one trailer with some room to spare. The one in the picture is a triple axle unit, but the tires are pretty small. I suspect that the 903 is a triple axle and the 902 is a tandem axle. I have no idea what the axle weight ratings are. Would something like this work to haul my 1225 Massey? I'm looking at 1500# for the tractor, maybe another 400# for the loader, if mounted, and up to 500# for a 3 point implement.
What should something like this be worth to a sane buyer? Is this an OK alternative, or should I hold out for a 20' HD car hauler-type trailer?
Thanks for your help!
Todd

Attachments

• 700741-trailer.jpg
    700741-trailer.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 894
   / Trailer-anybody seen one, and whats it worth? #2  
If your 1225 is the largest thing that you will need to haul, that trailer is massive overkill. You could haul a small dozer on that one. Having said that, it looks to be a very good, heavy trailer. You would have to have a pretty good size truck to pull it.

/ Trailer-anybody seen one, and whats it worth? #3  
The only opinion I have; there is a manufacturer sticker on the tongue in the picture. Stop by the garage and read what's on it. Should be more than adequate for your tractor, but it couldn't hurt to check. Again, my opinion depending on the load rating, under $1000.00 would be a steal. Can you get tags for them since they don't have titles?

/ Trailer-anybody seen one, and whats it worth? #4  
I've heard of them, but know very little about them. Looks like quite a sturdy rig. Trailers are one item that just can't be too heavy duty. People will have a tendency to load anything that'll fit on one. Far better too sturdy than not sturdy enough.....

A trailer like that would sell for maybe $3000 tops, to a low of $1500 here. (used)

/ Trailer-anybody seen one, and whats it worth? #5  
Check out with the city what the specs are. Also look for tire ratings and type of brakes. You should also check to see if the braking system will meet current regulations.

The one shown sure looks nice. You may not want the pintle hitch.

Egon

/ Trailer-anybody seen one, and whats it worth? #6  
I'd suspect it to go for $4000, if there are buyers there in the market. Stealing it for less would be great deal, and paying up to $6000 wouldn't surprise me (based on my experience at auctions where used sells for new or better sometimes).

Just pulling it empty will take some good power on the tongue, IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Trailer-anybody seen one, and whats it worth?
The lot is open for pre-sale inspection on Friday. I will probably go there over my lunch hour and have a look. As far as not having titles, that isn't a problem in Nebraska. They only title trailers over, I believe, 9,000# GVW. My 24' enclosed trailer is rated at 7,000# and is not titled.

/ Trailer-anybody seen one, and whats it worth? #8  
I am quessing from your picture that this trailer is a 6600 lb. gross trailer. The axles look like 2200 lb axles x 3
The trailer looks like it weighes about 2000 lb. that would leave you 4600 lb. max. net load. I wouldn't want to pay over $2000 for this used trailer. It looks tongue heavy. This trailer was made for big light loads. Have fun at the auction and let us know the outcome.

/ Trailer-anybody seen one, and whats it worth? #9  
Since it has a pintle hook on the front wouldnt it be heavier than 6600 lbs gw?? I thought those were only used on heavy equipment/construction type trailers or would they need the pintle hooks to tow them with dump trucks?

Just wondering

/ Trailer-anybody seen one, and whats it worth? #10  
Not necessarily. If you look around the pintle, you'll see an adjustment bracket. The pintle could be unbolted and a ball coupler could be put in. Some manufacturers give you the option when you buy. Me personally, I like having all my trucks and trailers using the same setup, no matter what size trailer. Oh yeah, different pintles have different load ratings too.